The best way to find affordable quotes for Acura RLX insurance is to regularly compare quotes from insurers that sell auto insurance in Columbus. This can be done by following these steps.
- First, take a few minutes and learn about what coverages are included in your policy and the things you can control to keep rates in check. Many risk factors that increase rates such as getting speeding tickets and poor credit history can be improved by making lifestyle changes or driving safer. Later in this article we will cover more ideas to lower rates and find overlooked discounts.
- Second, request rate estimates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give rate quotes from a single company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agents can provide price quotes for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Third, compare the new rate quotes to the price on your current policy and see if there is a cheaper rate in Columbus. If you can save some money, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Fourth, provide notification to your current agent or company of your intention to cancel your current car insurance policy and submit the signed application along with the required initial payment to the newly selected company. Be sure to place the new certificate verifying coverage with your vehicle’s registration.
An important bit of advice to remember is that you use similar limits and deductibles on every price quote and and to get quotes from every insurance company. This provides a level playing field and the best rate selection.
Everyone knows that car insurance companies want to keep you from shopping around. People who shop around at least once a year are inclined to buy a new policy because they have good chances of finding a policy with better rates. A recent study showed that drivers who regularly compared price quotes saved over $850 each year compared to those who never shopped for cheaper rates.
If finding the best price on auto insurance in Columbus is your goal, knowing how to choose a company and compare insurance rates can make it easier to shop your coverage around.
When comparing insurance rates, know that comparing all the rates in your area helps you find a lower rate.
The auto insurance companies shown below are our best choices to provide price comparisons in Columbus, OH. If more than one company is shown, it’s a good idea that you visit two to three different companies to find the most competitive auto insurance rates.
Car insurance does more than just protect your car
Even though Columbus RLX insurance rates can get expensive, insurance may be required and benefits you in several ways.
First, the majority of states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific minimum amount of liability protection in order to be legal. In Ohio these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you bought your Acura RLX with a loan, almost every bank will stipulate that you have comprehensive coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If the policy lapses, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Acura at a much higher premium rate and require you to fork over much more than you were paying before.
Third, car insurance preserves not only your Acura RLX but also your assets. It also can pay for hospital and medical expenses that are the result of an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you cause an accident and are sued. If you have damage to your Acura as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of having car insurance are definitely more than the cost, especially when you need to use it. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver overpays more than $820 a year so shop around every year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Affordable rates on Acura RLX insurance in Columbus with these ten discounts
Auto insurance companies don’t always list the complete list of policy discounts very clearly, so we researched some of the best known in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits available to bring down your rates.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Buying coverage for more than one vehicle with the same company can get a discount on all vehicles.
- 55 and Retired – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you could receive reduced rates.
- One Accident Forgiven – Not really a discount, but certain companies will let one accident slide without the usual rate increase if you are claim-free for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Renewal Discounts – Select insurance companies give a discount for buying a policy prior to your current RLX insurance policy expiration. Ten percent is about the average savings.
- Defensive Driver – Taking a safe driver course may get you a small discount and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Paper-free Discount – Some companies may give you up to $50 for signing up on the internet.
- Discounts for Government Workers – Having worked for a branch of the government could provide a small rate reduction with select insurance companies.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Cars with ABS and/or traction control prevent accidents and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Some auto insurance companies give a break if you buy life insurance from them.
- Own a Home – Just being a homeowner may trigger a policy discount on auto insurance because of the fact that having a home shows financial diligence.
Discounts lower rates, but most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire cost. Most only cut specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. So despite the fact that it appears all those discounts means the company will pay you, nobody gets a free ride.
To choose providers that offer the discounts shown above in Ohio, click here to view.
Local Columbus car insurance agents
Some people still like to buy from a local agent and there is nothing wrong with that. A nice benefit of getting free rate quotes online is that you can obtain cheap rate quotes and still have an agent to talk to.
Once you complete this short form, your insurance data is transmitted to agents in your area that give free quotes for your coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to contact any agents since price quotes are sent straight to your inbox. You can find the lowest rates AND an agent nearby. If you have a need to quote rates from a specific insurance company, don’t hesitate to find their quoting web page and fill out their quote form.
Deciding on an company shouldn’t rely on just the quoted price. Below are some questions you should ask.
- What are their preferred companies if they are an independent agency?
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
- Do they offer claims assistance after hours?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- Will a damage claim use OEM or aftermarket replacement parts?
- Are they giving you every discount you deserve?
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
- When do they do a full risk review?
When searching for a reliable insurance agent, there are a couple of different agency structures that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Insurance agencies in Columbus are categorized either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
Agents of this type can only place business with one company and examples are Allstate and State Farm. They generally cannot shop your coverage around so always compare other rates. Exclusive agents are very knowledgeable on their company’s products which aids in selling service over price. Some consumers prefer to buy from exclusive agents primarily because of the prominence of the brand and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
The following are exclusive agents in Columbus who can help you get comparison quotes.
- Scott Dawson – State Farm Insurance Agent
5871 Cleveland Ave – Columbus, OH 43231 – (614) 891-2886 – View Map
- Bruce Rothermund – State Farm Insurance Agent
50 Northwoods Blvd – Columbus, OH 43235 – (614) 888-5830 – View Map
- Ray Cook – State Farm Insurance Agent
7846 Olentangy River Rd – Columbus, OH 43235 – (614) 846-2886 – View Map
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
These agents can sell policies from many different companies and that allows them to write policies with multiple insurance companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If you want to switch companies, the business is moved internally and you can keep the same agent.
When shopping rates, we recommend you get quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to have the most options to choose from. Most also write with companies you’ve never heard of which may have better rates.
Shown below are Columbus independent agencies who can help you get price quotes.
- Cornerstone Insurance Services
1505 Stonecreek Drive S, Suite 103 – Pickerington, OH 43147 – (614) 524-4248 – View Map
- Nationwide Insurance: Robert Darnell Jackson Agency
2690 E Main St – Columbus, OH 43209 – (614) 235-5413 – View Map
- Nationwide Insurance – Nick Miller and Assoc Ins Agency Inc
6834 Caine Rd – Columbus, OH 43235 – (614) 889-0701 – View Map
Specific coverage details
Knowing the specifics of your insurance policy helps when choosing appropriate coverage for your vehicles. Policy terminology can be confusing and coverage can change by endorsement.
Medical payments coverage and PIP
Med pay and PIP coverage reimburse you for short-term medical expenses like chiropractic care, surgery, prosthetic devices, funeral costs and X-ray expenses. They are used in conjunction with a health insurance plan or if you lack health insurance entirely. Coverage applies to all vehicle occupants and will also cover if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal injury protection coverage is only offered in select states but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Coverage for liability
This will cover damages or injuries you inflict on a person or their property that is your fault. It protects you against claims from other people, and doesn’t cover your injuries or vehicle damage.
Liability coverage has three limits: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have limits of 25/50/25 that means you have a limit of $25,000 per injured person, a total of $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and a limit of $25,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability can pay for claims like structural damage, legal defense fees and funeral expenses. How much liability coverage do you need? That is your choice, but consider buying as large an amount as possible. Ohio requires drivers to carry at least 25/50/25 but it’s recommended drivers buy better liability coverage.
The chart below shows why buying the state minimum limits may not be adequate.
Collision insurance covers damage to your RLX caused by collision with another car or object. You first must pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage protects against claims like crashing into a building, backing into a parked car, crashing into a ditch, damaging your car on a curb and colliding with a tree. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so consider removing coverage from vehicles that are 8 years or older. It’s also possible to raise the deductible on your RLX to bring the cost down.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants from other motorists when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. It can pay for injuries to you and your family and also any damage incurred to your Acura RLX.
Since a lot of drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (25/50/25), their limits can quickly be used up. So UM/UIM coverage is a good idea.
This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You first must pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things like rock chips in glass, vandalism, a broken windshield, falling objects and hitting a bird. The most you’ll receive from a claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Do the work, save more money
More affordable auto insurance in Columbus can be purchased both online and from local insurance agents, and you should compare rates from both to have the best selection. Some insurance companies do not offer online price quotes and many times these smaller companies provide coverage only through independent insurance agencies.
When trying to cut insurance costs, it’s a bad idea to reduce coverage to reduce premium. There are many occasions where drivers have reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to find out they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest price, but do not skimp to save money.
We’ve covered a lot of ways to reduce Acura RLX insurance prices online in Columbus. The key concept to understand is the more companies you get rates for, the better your chances of lowering your rates. You may even find the lowest priced auto insurance comes from an unexpected company.
To learn more, feel free to visit these articles:
- Vehicle Insurance in the U.S. (Wikipedia)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for Police Officers in Columbus? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Columbus Auto Insurance Rates for Immigrants? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for Active Military in Columbus? (FAQ)
- Protecting Teens from Drunk Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- Medical Payments Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Understanding Car Crashes Video (iihs.org)