The best way we recommend to get budget car insurance rates in Columbus is to start comparing prices regularly from different companies who provide auto insurance in Ohio.
- Step 1: Get an understanding of how car insurance works and the steps you can take to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating criteria that are responsible for high rates like at-fault accidents, careless driving, and your credit history can be rectified by making lifestyle changes or driving safer. Keep reading for the details to keep prices down and find additional discounts you may qualify for.
- Step 2: Compare rates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only give prices from a single company like Progressive and State Farm, while agents who are independent can give you price quotes from multiple companies. View companies
- Step 3: Compare the new rates to your existing policy to determine if you can save on e-Golf insurance in Columbus. If you find better rates and decide to switch, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
- Step 4: Provide notification to your current agent or company of your decision to cancel the current policy and submit a signed application and payment for the new coverage. As soon as you have the new policy, safely store the certificate of insurance in a readily accessible location in your vehicle.
One thing to remember is to try to compare similar coverage information on every price quote and and to get prices from as many car insurance companies as possible. This provides an accurate price comparison and many rates to choose from.
Amazingly, nearly 70% of consumers renewed their policy with the same company for at least the last four years, and approximately 40% of consumers have never quoted rates to find cheaper coverage. Most drivers in Ohio could save about 55% a year, but they just assume it's a time-consuming process to save money by comparing rate quotes.
Components of Your Volkswagen e-Golf Insurance Costs
It's important that you understand the factors that go into determining the level of your policy premiums. If you understand what controls the rates you pay, this allows you to make educated decisions that may reward you with lower premium levels. Lots of factors are used in the calculation when you get your auto insurance bill. Some are pretty understandable like your driving record, but other factors are less obvious such as whether you are married or your financial responsibility.
The itemized list below are a partial list of the pieces car insurance companies consider when setting your premiums.
Eliminate extra coverages - There are quite a few extra bells and whistles that you can buy if you aren't careful. Coverage for things like rental car coverage, towing coverage, and membership fees are probably not needed. They may sound like good ideas when buying your policy, but your money might be better spent on other coverage so get rid of them and save.
Poor credit rating equals high prices - Having a bad credit history factor in your rate calculation. If your credit score is low, you could potentially save money when insuring your Volkswagen e-Golf if you improve your credit rating. People with excellent credit scores tend to be more responsible and file fewer claims than those with worse credit.
Higher rates for specific employers - Occupational choices like fire fighters, air traffic controllers, and stock brokers generally pay higher premiums than the average policyholder attributed to job stress and lots of time spent at work. Other occupations such as professors, athletes and homemakers pay lower than average rates.
Insurance premiums and driver gender - Statistics have proven women are more cautious behind the wheel. It does not mean females are better drivers. Men and women have accidents at about the same rate, but guys have costlier accidents. Not only that, but men also get cited for more serious violations like driving under the influence (DUI). Male drivers age 16 to 19 generally have the highest accident percentage and are penalized with high car insurance rates.
Your age impacts your premiums - Teen drivers in Ohio are statistically proven to be inattentive in a vehicle therefore car insurance rates are much higher. Older insureds are more responsible, tend to file fewer claims, and receive fewer citations.
Rates may be higher where you live - Choosing to live in a rural area has it's advantages when insuring your vehicles. City drivers have to deal with much more traffic and more severe claims. Less people living in that area means fewer accidents as well as less vandalism and auto theft.
When looking for the cheapest Volkswagen e-Golf rate quotes, there are a couple ways to compare rate quotes from many different Ohio insurance companies. The recommended way to find competitive insurance rates is to get quotes online.
Doing online rate quotes comparisons is so easy that it replaces the need to actually drive to each insurance agency near you. The ability to get quotes online has reduced the need for local agents unless you have a complicated situation and need the professional advice only provided by licensed Columbus agents. Some companies do allow you to compare the best prices online and have a local agent actually service the policy.
When comparing car insurance rates, know that making a lot of price comparisons helps you find a better price.
The providers in the list below have been selected to offer free rate quotes in Columbus, OH. If several companies are displayed, it's highly recommended you visit two to three different companies to get a more complete price comparison.
Protect your Volkswagen vehicle and other assets
Even though it can be expensive, maintaining insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
- Almost all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means state laws require a minimum amount of liability insurance in order to drive the car. In Ohio these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your e-Golf with a loan, it's guaranteed your bank will make it a condition of the loan that you buy full coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Volkswagen at a much higher rate and force you to reimburse them for the expensive policy.
- Insurance safeguards both your assets and your car. It will also pay for most medical and hospital costs that are the result of an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, your car insurance policy will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of having car insurance more than offset the price you pay, particularly if you ever have a claim. According to a 2015 survey, the average American driver overpays more than $825 a year so you should quote your policy with other companies at every policy renewal to ensure rates are inline.
Discount Columbus insurance quotes
Some insurance providers don't necessarily list their entire list of discounts in a way that's easy to find, so we break down a few of the more common as well as the least known discounts that may be available.
- Discounts for Federal Employees - Simply working for the federal government could provide a small rate reduction with certain companies.
- Safety Restraint Discount - Buckling up and requiring all passengers to use a seat belt can save up to 15% on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Defensive Driver - Successfully completing a course teaching safe driver skills can save you 5% or more and make you a better driver.
- Accident Forgiveness - This one isn't a discount, but companies like GEICO, Progressive, and Allstate will let one accident slide before hitting you with a surcharge so long as you haven't had any claims for a set time period.
- Homeowners Savings - Owning a house in Columbus can save a few bucks because of the fact that having a home means you have a higher level of financial diligence.
- Early Switch Discount - Some companies give discounts for buying a policy early. It could save around 10% when you buy Columbus car insurance online.
- Telematics Data Discounts - Drivers that enable driving data collection to scrutinize where and when they drive remotely such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate's Drivewise system may get a rate reduction if they show good driving skills.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags - Vehicles with factory air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may qualify for discounts as much as 30%.
- Save over 55 - If you're over the age of 55, you could receive reduced rates.
- Include Life Insurance and Save - Some insurance companies give a discounted premium rate on car insurance if you buy some life insurance too.
Policy discounts save money, but most credits do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. Just because you may think adding up those discounts means a free policy, companies wouldn't make money that way.
Some of the insurance companies that may offer quotes with many of the previously listed discounts include:
If you need affordable Volkswagen e-Golf insurance quotes, ask every insurance company to apply every possible discount. Some discounts may not apply to policies in your area.
When to get advice from a local insurance agent
Certain consumers would rather go talk to an agent and we recommend doing that One of the benefits of comparing rate quotes online is that you can find better rates but also keep your business local. Buying from local insurance agencies is especially important in Columbus.
To find an agent, once you fill out this simple form, your insurance data is immediately sent to agents in your area that give free quotes for your coverage. There is no reason to contact an agency because prices are sent to you. Get lower rates and a licensed agent to work with. If you have a need to compare prices for a specific company, don't hesitate to search and find their rate quote page and fill out their quote form.
Types of auto insurance agents in Columbus
If you're trying to find local Columbus agents, it can be helpful to understand the types of agencies and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Insurance policy providers can either be independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
Independent Insurance Agents
These type of agents are not limited to a single company and that allows them to write policies with many different companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If they find a lower price, your agent can switch companies and you don't have to switch agencies.
If you are comparing insurance prices, it's recommended you get quotes from several independent agencies in order to have the best price comparison.
Featured below are Columbus independent agents who may be able to give you free price quotes.
Nationwide Insurance - Nick Miller and Assoc Ins Agency Inc
6834 Caine Rd - Columbus, OH 43235 - (614) 889-0701 - View Map
Exclusive insurance agents can usually just insure with one company such as State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. Exclusive agents cannot compare other company's rates so if the price isn't competitive there isn't much they can do. Exclusive insurance agents are usually quite knowledgeable in insurance sales which helps them sell on service rather than price.
The following are exclusive agents in Columbus who can help you get rate quotes.
American Family Insurance - Yelena Uchiteleva Agency LLC
233 S Hamilton Rd - Columbus, OH 43213 - (614) 235-1702 - View Map
Finding the right auto insurance agent should include more criteria than just the quoted price. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Do you qualify for any additional discounts?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
- Will the quote change when the policy is issued?
- How often do they review policy coverages?
- Does the company allow you to choose your own collision repair facility?
One last note
When trying to cut insurance costs, do not buy less coverage just to save a little money. In many instances, someone sacrificed uninsured motorist or liability limits and found out when filing a claim that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. The ultimate goal is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best price.
You just learned a lot of techniques to compare Volkswagen e-Golf insurance rates in Columbus. The key thing to remember is the more you quote Columbus car insurance, the better your comparison will be. You may even find the most savings is with the smaller companies. Some small companies may often insure only within specific states and give better rates compared to the large companies like State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
Affordable Volkswagen e-Golf insurance in Columbus is definitely available online as well as from insurance agents, so you should compare both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance companies may not offer online price quotes and these smaller providers only sell through independent insurance agents.
Helpful learning opportunities
- Parking Tips to Reduce Door Dings (State Farm)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for Ride Shares in Columbus? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Lyft Drivers in Columbus? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for High Risk Drivers in Columbus? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates for Drivers Over Age 70 in Columbus? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers Requiring a SR22 in Columbus? (FAQ)
- Teen Driving and Texting (State Farm)
- A Tree Fell on Your Car: Now What? (Allstate)
- How to shop for a safer car (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)