The most effective way to get affordable Nissan Xterra insurance is to compare prices once a year from different companies that sell auto insurance in Columbus. You can compare prices by completing these steps.
First, get a basic knowledge of what coverages are included in your policy and the measures you can take to prevent expensive coverage. Many policy risk factors that are responsible for high rates such as speeding tickets, accidents and a bad credit rating can be eliminated by making minor changes in your lifestyle. This article gives the details to prevent high rates and get additional discounts that may be available.
Second, compare prices from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give rate quotes from one company like GEICO and Allstate, while independent agencies can provide rate quotes from multiple insurance companies.
Third, compare the new rates to your existing rates to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you can save some money, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
Fourth, notify your company or agent to cancel your current policy. Submit payment along with a signed and completed policy application to your new carrier. As soon as you have the new policy, keep the new certificate verifying proof of insurance in an accessible location in your vehicle.
A good piece of advice is to make sure you're comparing the same deductibles and limits on each quote and and to get price quotes from as many companies as feasibly possible. Doing this provides the most accurate price comparison and a good representation of prices.
Amazingly, a recent NerdWallet.com study showed that most insurance policyholders renewed their policy with the same company for four years or more, and almost half have never compared rates to find cheap insurance. With the average premium in Ohio being $1,340, drivers can save hundreds of dollars each year by just shopping around, but they just don't understand the amount of savings they would get if they switched.
Quoting and comparing the cheapest protection in Columbus is easy to do. If you are already insured or just want cheaper rates, you will benefit by learning to find better prices without reducing protection. Smart buyers just have to learn the most efficient way to compare price quotes online.
How Your Xterra Insurance Rates are Determined
The best way to find cheaper insurance is to take a look at some of the factors that help calculate the rates you pay for insurance. When consumers understand what controls the rates you pay, this helps enable you to make changes that can earn you much lower annual insurance costs.
The factors shown below are some of the most rate-impacting factors insurance companies consider when setting prices.
Physical damage deductibles - Deductibles for physical damage tell how much you are willing to pay if a claim is determined to be covered. Physical damage insurance, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, protects your car from damage. Some examples of covered claims are collision with another vehicle, collision with a deer, and having a roll-over accident. The more expense you're willing to pay, the lower your rates will be.
Cheaper premiums using alarms and GPS tracking - Owning a car with a theft deterrent system can help lower your rates. Theft prevention features like OnStar found on GM vehicles, advanced tracking like LoJack, and vehicle immobilization systems all hinder car theft.
Vocation impacts prices - Careers like fire fighters, business owners, and medical professionals have higher rates than average in part from stressful work requirements and incredibly demanding work hours. On the flip side, careers like professors, athletes and homemakers pay the least.
If you don't need it don't buy it - Insurance companies have many additional extra coverages that sound like a good idea at the time when buying insurance. Insurance for things like personal injury protection, accidental death, and additional equipment coverage may be costing you every month. The coverages may be enticing when deciding what coverages you need, but if you have no use for them consider taking them off your policy.
Avoid tickets and save - Attentive drivers pay lower auto insurance prices compared to bad drivers. Having just one speeding ticket or other violation could increase your next policy renewal by twenty percent. Drivers with severe tickets such as reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may find that they have to to file a SR-22 with their state DMV in order to prevent a license revocation.
The information below shows how traffic citations and accidents can influence Nissan Xterra annual premium costs for each different age group. The data assumes a single male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $1,000 deductibles, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Youthful drivers cost more - Teenage drivers in Ohio are proven to be inattentive and easily distracted in a vehicle and because of this, their insurance rates are much higher. Adding a youthful driver onto a policy can increase premiums substantially. Older, more experienced drivers have been proven to be more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents, and tend to be get fewer driving tickets.
The following chart uses these assumptions: single driver, full coverage with $250 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
Nissan Xterra insurance loss probability - Insurers take into consideration historical loss data for every vehicle when setting rates for each model. Models that tend to have higher claim frequency or loss amount will cost more to insure. The table below demonstrates the actual insurance loss data for Nissan Xterra vehicles.
For each type of coverage, the loss probability for all vehicles, regardless of make or model, is set at 100. Values that are below 100 indicate better than average losses, while values over 100 point to more losses or an increased probability of a larger loss.
|Specific Nissan Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Nissan Xterra 4dr 2WD||57||95||45|
|Nissan Xterra 4dr 4WD||62||100||63||59||77||86|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
The quickest method we recommend to compare insurance rates from multiple companies is to understand auto insurance companies will pay a fee to provide you with a free rate quote. All you need to do is provide a small amount of information including whether you have decent credit, deductibles desired, whether you are married, and how many miles driven. Your information is sent automatically to multiple top-rated companies and you get price estimates immediately.
To compare affordable Nissan Xterra insurance rates now, click here and find out if you can get cheaper insurance in Columbus.
The companies shown below provide price quotes in Ohio. If multiple companies are shown, we suggest you visit as many as you can to find the cheapest auto insurance rates.
Auto insurance statistics for a Nissan Xterra
The information below covers a range of prices for Nissan Xterra models. Being more informed about how auto insurance policy rates are formulated helps drivers make smart choices when comparing insurance rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Xterra X 2WD||$92||$118||$232||$14||$70||$526||$44|
|Xterra S 2WD||$92||$118||$232||$14||$70||$526||$44|
|Xterra S 4WD||$92||$118||$232||$14||$70||$526||$44|
|Xterra X 4WD||$92||$118||$232||$14||$70||$526||$44|
|Xterra Off Road 4WD||$106||$150||$232||$14||$70||$572||$48|
|Xterra SE 2WD||$106||$150||$232||$14||$70||$572||$48|
|Xterra SE 4WD||$106||$150||$232||$14||$70||$572||$48|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Above prices assume married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Ohio minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, claim-free, and homeowner. Table data does not factor in garaging location in Columbus which can revise rates substantially.
The illustration below illustrates how choosing a deductible and can raise or lower Nissan Xterra annual premium costs for different age groups. Data assumes a single female driver, comp and collision included, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Buying the right Xterra insurance in Ohio is an important decision
Despite the potentially high cost of Nissan Xterra insurance, insurance is not optional due to several reasons.
- Just about all states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to buy a minimum amount of liability protection in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Ohio these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your vehicle, almost every bank will have a requirement that you buy insurance to guarantee payment of the loan. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Nissan for a much higher rate and require you to pay the higher price.
- Auto insurance preserves both your assets and your car. It will also cover hospital and medical expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you are sued as the result of an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance outweigh the cost, especially with large liability claims. But the average driver in Ohio overpays more than $850 per year so we recommend shopping around at every renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Save a ton by applying discounts
Some providers don't always publicize every policy discount very well, so the list below gives a summary of a few of the more well known and also the lesser-known credits that you can use to lower your rates. If you check and find you aren't receiving every discount available, you may be paying too high a price.
- Defensive Driver Discount - Taking a course teaching driver safety skills may get you a small discount depending on where you live.
- Drive Safe and Save - Drivers who avoid accidents could pay up to 40% less compared to accident prone drivers.
- Early Renewal Discounts - A few insurance companies offer discounts for switching companies prior to the expiration date on your current Xterra insurance policy. You can save around 10% with this discount.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount - Vehicles that have steering control and anti-lock brakes are much safer to drive and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Use Seat Belts - Buckling up and requiring all passengers to fasten their seat belts could save 15% off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- 55 and Retired - Seniors are able to get better insurance rates.
- Savings for New Vehicles - Adding a new car to your policy can get you a discount since new vehicles are generally safer.
- Accident Waiver - Not necessarily a discount, but companies like Allstate, State Farm and GEICO allow you one accident without the usual rate increase with the catch being you have to be claim-free for a set time period.
- Multiple Policy Discount - If you can combine your auto and home policy with one insurance company you may earn at least 10 to 15 percent or more.
A little disclaimer on discounts, some credits don't apply to your bottom line cost. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. Even though the math looks like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it's just not the way it works.
The chart below illustrates the difference between Nissan Xterra insurance prices with and without discounts being applied to the rates. The rate quotes are based on a male driver, no violations or claims, Ohio state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with marriage, multi-car, safe-driver, claim-free, homeowner, and multi-policy discounts applied.
Large insurance companies and the discounts they provide are outlined below.
- Farm Bureau includes discounts for multi-policy, youthful driver, good student, 55 and retired, renewal discount, and safe driver.
- MetLife may offer discounts for good driver, good student, defensive driver, accident-free, and multi-policy.
- Progressive may have discounts that include multi-vehicle, multi-policy, online quote discount, continuous coverage, and online signing.
- AAA discounts include good student, education and occupation, anti-theft, multi-policy, good driver, AAA membership discount, and pay-in-full.
- American Family offers discounts including TimeAway discount, multi-vehicle, good student, mySafetyValet, Steer into Savings, air bags, and accident-free.
- GEICO has savings for anti-theft, five-year accident-free, anti-lock brakes, multi-policy, membership and employees, and federal employee.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including driver's education, Drive Safe & Save, accident-free, good driver, anti-theft, and multiple autos.
When quoting, ask every company which discounts they offer. Some credits may not be available everywhere. To locate insurance companies who offer free Nissan Xterra insurance quotes in Columbus, click this link.
Are insurance agencies a thing of the past?
A lot of people prefer to buy from a local agent and that is a smart decision Good agents can help you choose the best coverages and will help you if you have claims. A good thing about price shopping on the web is that you can find cheap rate quotes but still work with a licensed agent. And supporting local insurance agencies is important especially in Columbus.
To find an agent, once you fill out this simple form, your coverage information is instantly submitted to companies in Columbus who will give competitive quotes for your business. You won't need to contact any insurance agencies since rate quotes are delivered to you. In the event you want to compare prices from a particular provider, you can always find their quoting web page and fill out the quote form the provide.
What types of auto insurance agents are in Columbus?
If you would like to find a local agent, you must know there are a couple types of insurance agents and how they are slightly different. Columbus agents may be either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer. Either can insure your vehicles, but it's important to know the difference between them since it may influence the kind of agent you use.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be independent are not limited to a single company so they can insure your vehicles with multiple insurance companies and find the cheapest rate. If they quote lower rates, the business is moved internally and that require little work on your part. When comparing insurance rates, you will want to include rate quotes from a couple of independent agencies in order to have the best price comparison. Most have the option of insuring with less well-known companies that can offer cheaper rates than bigger companies.
Below is a small list of independent insurance agents in Columbus who may be able to give you pricing information.
- Augustine Insurance Agency
3851 N High St - Columbus, OH 43214 - (614) 267-1973 - View Map
- Soller Insurance Agency
891 S James Rd - Columbus, OH 43227 - (614) 235-2815 - View Map
- Central Ohio Insurance Services, Inc
1205 Hill Rd N - Pickerington, OH 43147 - (614) 861-3100 - View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents in the exclusive channel have only one company to place business with such as American Family, State Farm, and AAA. They usually cannot provide prices from multiple companies so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive insurance agents receive extensive training on their products and sales techniques and that allows them to sell at a higher price point. Some people will only use the same exclusive agent partially due to the brand name and strong financial ratings.
Shown below are exclusive insurance agents in Columbus who can help you get price quote information.
- Bill Alsnauer - State Farm Insurance Agent
2500 W Dublin Granville Rd - Columbus, OH 43235 - (614) 764-2411 - View Map
- Andrea Taylor - State Farm Insurance Agent
5540 N Hamilton Rd - Columbus, OH 43230 - (614) 855-9421 - View Map
- Wendy Sams - State Farm Insurance Agent
9039 Antares Ave, Ste D-1A - Columbus, OH 43240 - (614) 985-6123 - View Map
Finding a good car insurance agent should depend on more than just a cheap price. You should also get answers to these questions.
- What is their Better Business Bureau rating?
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?
- How many companies do they write for?
- Which family members are covered?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- Can they help ensure a fair claim settlement?
The best rates come from being thorough
We just presented many ideas to reduce Nissan Xterra insurance rates online in Columbus. It's most important to understand that the more quotes you get, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers may even find the lowest priced auto insurance comes from the least-expected company.
Consumers leave their current company for a variety of reasons including unfair underwriting practices, questionable increases in premium, being labeled a high risk driver or even policy non-renewal. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, choosing a new insurance company can be less work than you think.
Cost effective Nissan Xterra insurance is possible from both online companies and with local Columbus insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance providers may not have internet price quotes and many times these smaller providers provide coverage only through independent agents.
For more information, feel free to visit the articles below:
- A Tree Fell on Your Car: Now What? (Allstate)
- Who Has the Cheapest Columbus Auto Insurance for State Employees? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Columbus Auto Insurance Rates After a Speeding Ticket? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Columbus Auto Insurance Quotes for 17 Year Olds? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Columbus Car Insurance for Unemployed Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for High Mileage Drivers in Columbus? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Nurses in Columbus? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for Seniors in Columbus? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for a 20 Year Old Female in Columbus? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for a Chevrolet Traverse in Columbus? (FAQ)
- Auto Crash Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Prepare your Teens for Safe Driving (InsureUonline.org)
- Booster Seat Ratings (iihs.org)