If you want to save money, the best way to get cheaper car insurance rates is to start comparing prices regularly from insurance carriers who provide car insurance in Columbus. Drivers can shop around by completing these steps.
- Try to learn about how companies set rates and the factors you can control to lower rates. Many rating factors that result in higher rates like traffic citations and a lousy credit rating can be rectified by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility. This article provides information to find cheap rates and find additional discounts you may qualify for.
- Obtain price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can give quotes from one company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can quote prices for many different companies.
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing coverage to determine if you can save on Durango insurance. If you can save money and make a switch, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
- Notify your company or agent of your intent to cancel your current policy and submit a down payment along with a signed application to the new company. As soon as coverage is bound, store the certificate verifying proof of insurance in your vehicle.
A crucial key to this process is to make sure you're comparing the same coverage limits and deductibles on each price quote and and to get rates from as many carriers as you can. Doing this provides a fair rate comparison and plenty of rates choose from.
Amazingly, a recent NerdWallet.com study showed that a large majority of insurance policyholders in Ohio have purchased from the same company for well over three years, and about 40% of consumers have never even shopped around for cheap coverage. U.S. drivers can save roughly $860 each year, but they don't know how much they could save if they switched to a more affordable policy.
The purpose of this post is to teach you how car insurance quotes work and also save some money in the process If you have coverage now, you will most likely be able to buy cheaper insurance using this strategy. Comparison shoppers just need to understand the best way to shop their coverage around from many companies at once.
The companies shown below provide free quotes in Columbus, OH. If multiple companies are shown, it's highly recommended you visit two to three different companies in order to get a fair rate comparison.
It may be expensive, but it's not optional
Despite the potentially high cost of Dodge Durango insurance, insurance is required for several reasons.
First, just about all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires a specific minimum amount of liability in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Ohio these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you took out a loan on your car, more than likely the lender will require that you buy insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the lender will be forced to insure your Dodge for a much higher rate and force you to pay for it.
Third, insurance protects not only your vehicle but also your assets. It will also cover medical transport and hospital expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you cause an accident and are sued. If you have damage to your Dodge as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of buying enough insurance definitely exceed the price paid, especially with large liability claims. As of last year, the average driver in Ohio overpays as much as $850 per year so shop around each time the policy renews to ensure rates are competitive.
How Your Durango Insurance Premiums are Determined
When buying insurance it's important to understand the different types of things that help determine your insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that may result in cheaper rates. Many different elements are part of the equation when quoting car insurance. Some factors are common sense such as your driving history, but other criteria are not as apparent such as your marital status or how safe your car is.
- Frequent insurance claims increase prices - If you file a lot of claims don't be surprised to see higher rates. Car insurance companies in Ohio award cheaper rates to policyholders who are claim-free. Your insurance policy is designed for the bigger claims that can't be paid out-of-pocket.
- Lower prices with no policy lapses - Not having insurance is a big no-no and any future policy may cost more because you let your insurance expire. And not only will insurance be more expensive, failure to provide proof of insurance may result in fines or a revoked license. You could then be forced to file a SR-22 with the Ohio motor vehicle department.
- Accidents drive up prices - Even one driving citation can increase the cost of insurance by twenty percent. Drivers with clean records tend to pay less for car insurance compared to drivers with tickets. Drivers with careless violations like reckless driving or DUI may be required to maintain a SR-22 with the DMV in their state in order to prevent their license from being revoked.
- Good credit saves on insurance - Having a bad credit score will be a significant factor in determining your rates. People with high credit scores tend to be more responsible and file fewer claims as compared to drivers with lower credit scores. Therefore, if your credit rating is not that good, you may save money insuring your Dodge Durango by repairing your credit.
- Your vocation and insurance rates - Did you know your career choice can influence rates? Occupations such as lawyers, airline pilots, and medical professionals have higher average rates due to high stress and extremely grueling work hours. On the flip side, careers such as actors, historians and the unemployed pay the least.
Dodge Durango insurance loss probability - Insurance companies factor in historical loss data as a way to help calculate a profitable premium price. Models that the data shows to have a trend towards higher claim severity or frequency will be charged more to insure. The table below demonstrates the historical loss data for Dodge Durango vehicles.
For each insurance policy coverage type, the claim probability for all vehicles, without regard to make or model, is represented as 100. Percentage numbers below 100 suggest losses that are better than average, while values over 100 indicate more frequent claims or an increased chance of a larger loss.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Dodge Durango Vehicles Vehicle Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Dodge Durango 4dr 2WD 88 110 91 104 90 100 Dodge Durango 4dr 4WD 90 115 97 92 93 102BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
More quotes mean more insurance savings
You just read a lot of techniques to lower your Dodge Durango insurance car insurance rates in Columbus. The key thing to remember is the more rate quotes you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Consumers may even find the most savings is with some of the smallest insurance companies. These companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost compared to the large companies like Progressive and GEICO.
Budget-conscious Dodge Durango insurance is attainable both online and also from your neighborhood Columbus agents, so get free Columbus auto insurance quotes from both of them to have the best rate selection. Some insurance providers may not provide online rate quotes and most of the time these regional carriers provide coverage only through local independent agencies.
Even more information can be read by following these links:
- Parking Tips to Reduce Door Dings (State Farm)
- Who Has the Cheapest Columbus Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers with Bad Credit? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Rates for Young Drivers in Columbus? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Teenagers in Columbus? (FAQ)
- How Much is Columbus Auto Insurance for Drivers with a DUI? (FAQ)
- How Much are Columbus Auto Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Highlander? (FAQ)
- Auto Crash Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Teen Driving Statistics (iihs.org)
- Rental Car Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much Auto Coverage do I Need? (Insurance Information Institute)