A recent auto insurance study discovered that over 70% of Ohio drivers kept their policy with the same company for over three years, and practically 40% of auto insurance customers have never taken the time to shop around. The average driver in the U.S. can save $859 each year, but most just don't grasp the large savings they would see if they swap their current policy for a cheaper one.
If saving money is your primary concern, then the best way to get affordable Dodge Stratus insurance in Columbus is to begin comparing prices regularly from providers who sell insurance in Ohio.
Step 1: Spend a few minutes and learn about car insurance and the modifications you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many factors that result in higher prices such as speeding tickets, careless driving and bad credit can be amended by being financially responsible and driving safely.
Step 2: Obtain price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive and direct companies can give quotes from one company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can provide prices for many different companies.
Step 3: Compare the quotes to the premium of your current policy to determine if you can save on Stratus insurance in Columbus. If you find a lower rate and decide to switch, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
An important bit of advice to remember is that you use the same liability limits and deductibles on each quote request and and to look at as many companies as possible. Doing this helps ensure a fair price comparison and a thorough selection of prices.
Learn How to Lower Your Insurance Premiums
Smart consumers have a good feel for the different types of things that help calculate the level of your policy premiums. If you understand what determines base rates, this enables informed choices that may reward you with lower rates. Many different elements are used in the calculation when you get your auto insurance bill. Some are pretty understandable like a motor vehicle report, although some other factors are more obscure such as your credit history or your vehicle rating.
Five star safety rating saves money - Safe vehicles tend to be cheaper to insure. Safer cars reduce injuries and lower injury rates translates directly to fewer claims and cheaper rates on your policy. If your Dodge Stratus has ratings of a minimum an "acceptable" rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website or four stars on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website it may cost less to insure.
Driving citations will cost you - Even a single speeding ticket may cause rates to rise by as much as thirty percent. Careful drivers have lower premiums than their less careful counterparts. Drivers who have gotten flagrant violations such as DUI or willful reckless driving may find they need to maintain a SR-22 to the state department of motor vehicles in order to prevent a license revocation.
Advanced GPS tracking and theft deterrents - Buying a car with a theft deterrent system can save you some money. Anti-theft features like tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar all help prevent car theft.
Keep the miles off and save - The more you drive annually the higher your rate. A lot of companies rate vehicles determined by how the vehicle is used. Cars and trucks used primarily for pleasure use cost less to insure than those used for commuting. Make sure your auto insurance policy reflects annual mileage. Incorrect rating for your Stratus is just wasting money.
Insurance rates in urban areas - Having an address in smaller towns and rural areas of the country may provide you with better prices when talking about auto insurance. Drivers who live in large cities regularly have more traffic problems and a longer drive to work. Less people means a lower chance of having an accident in addition to lower liability claims.
A auto insurance policy lapse can increase prices - Allowing your auto insurance policy to lapse can be a sure-fire way to bump up your auto insurance costs. In addition to paying higher premiums, getting caught without coverage might get you fines and jail time.
Marriage discount - Having a wife or husband may save some money when shopping for auto insurance. Having a spouse translates into being more mature and responsible and statistics show married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
Stay claim-free and save money - If you are a frequent claim filer, you should expect higher premiums or even policy non-renewal. Auto insurance companies in Ohio generally give the best rates to people who file claims infrequently. Insurance coverage is meant to be used in the event of larger claims.
Just remember that getting more free quotes increases the chance that you will find a better price.
The companies shown below have been selected to offer comparison quotes in Columbus, OH. If the list has multiple companies, it's a good idea that you visit several of them to get the best price comparison.
Why you need car insurance
Even though Columbus Stratus insurance rates can get expensive, car insurance is mandatory in Ohio but it also protects more than you think.
- The majority of states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to buy specific limits of liability protection in order to be legal. In Ohio these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Stratus, it's guaranteed your bank will make it mandatory that you have physical damage coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the bank may buy a policy for your Dodge at a much higher premium rate and force you to pay much more than you were paying before.
- Car insurance protects not only your Dodge but also your financial assets. It will also provide coverage for most medical and hospital costs for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay to defend you if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance definitely exceed the price paid, especially with large liability claims. Unknowingly, the average driver overpays more than $810 a year so shop around at every renewal to make sure the price is not too high.
Car insurance discounts help lower rates for Dodge Stratus insurance in Columbus
Car insurance is expensive, but you may be missing some discounts that many people don't even know exist. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically when you get a quote, but some must be asked for before they will apply.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints - Options like air bags or motorized seat belts can receive discounts up to 30%.
- Student in College - Any of your kids who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Columbus and do not take a car to college may qualify for this discount.
- More Vehicles More Savings - Buying coverage for several vehicles on a single policy can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Low Miles Discount - Fewer annual miles on your Dodge may enable drivers to earn discounted rates on garaged vehicles.
- Discount for Swiching Early - A few companies give discounts for renewing your policy early. This can save 10% or more.
- Senior Citizen Discount - Mature drivers are able to get a discount up to 10%.
- Braking Control Discount - Cars with ABS braking systems or traction control can avoid accidents and will save you 10% or more on Stratus insurance in Columbus.
- Payment Discounts - By paying your entire bill at once rather than paying in monthly installments you may have a lower total premium amount.
- Federal Employees - Active or retired federal employment may qualify for a discount when you quote Columbus car insurance with a few car insurance companies.
Don't be shocked that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the whole policy. Most only cut individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. If you do the math and it seems like it's possible to get free car insurance, nobody gets a free ride.
Companies that may offer policyholders these money-saving discounts possibly include:
Before buying, ask each company the best way to save money. Depending on the company, some discounts may not apply to policies in Columbus. For a list of insurers that have a full spectrum of discounts in Ohio, follow this link.
Neighborhood insurance agents
Certain consumers just want to get professional advice from a licensed agent and there is nothing wrong with that. A nice benefit of getting online price quotes is you may find cheap car insurance rates and still buy from a local agent. Buying from and supporting local agencies is especially important in Columbus.
Once you complete this form (opens in new window), your information is sent to local insurance agents in Columbus who want to provide quotes for your coverage. You never need to visit any agencies because quoted prices will be sent straight to your inbox. You can find lower rates and a licensed agent to talk to. In the event you want to get a rate quote from one company in particular, don't hesitate to go to their quote page and complete a quote there.
Picking the best company is decision based upon more than just the price. The following questions are important to ask.
- Does the agent recommend any additional coverage?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- When do they do a full risk review?
- Which family members are covered?
- Is the agency covered by Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Is the quote a firm price?
When do I need an agent's advice?
When it comes to buying your policy, there is no "best" method to buy coverage. Your needs are not the same as everyone else's.
These are some specific questions may help highlight if your situation could use an agent's help.
- I have a DUI can I still get coverage?
- Are rock chip repairs covered?
- Is my dog or cat covered if injured in an accident?
- Is my business laptop covered if it gets stolen from my vehicle?
- Is there a penalty for late payment?
- Do I need motorclub coverage?
- Are split liability limits better than a combined single limit?
- Why do I only qualify for high-risk insurance?
- Why do I have to buy liability insurance?
If you don't know the answers to these questions but you know they apply to you then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form.
Smart consumers save more
Cost effective Dodge Stratus insurance can be found both online in addition to local insurance agencies, and you should be comparing both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some companies don't offer online price quotes and usually these small insurance companies provide coverage only through independent agents.
People switch companies for a variety of reasons including high prices, an unsatisfactory settlement offer, lack of trust in their agent or denial of a claim. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding the right car insurance provider is not as hard as you think.
While you're price shopping online, don't be tempted to buy less coverage just to save a little money. There have been many cases where consumers will sacrifice full coverage and discovered at claim time that they should have had better coverage. Your goal is to get the best coverage possible at an affordable rate.
For more information, link through to the resources below:
- Coverage Information (Progressive Insurance)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Honda Civic in Columbus? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Chevrolet Silverado in Columbus? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for Drivers Over Age 50 in Columbus? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a Ford Escape in Columbus? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for a Ford F-150 in Columbus? (FAQ)
- Things to Know Before you Cancel Insurance (Allstate)
- What does Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Cover? (Allstate)