It’s hard to fathom, but nearly 70% of drivers kept their coverage with the same auto insurance company for at least four years, and about 40% of consumers have never compared rates with other companies. Columbus drivers can cut their rates by up to $730 a year, but they assume it’s a waste of time to shop their coverage around.
The preferred way to get discount Kia Borrego insurance in Columbus is to compare prices annually from providers that sell auto insurance in Ohio. You can shop around by completing these steps.
- Step 1: Try to learn a little about how insurance companies determine prices and the things you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating factors that result in higher rates such as careless driving and an unacceptable credit history can be controlled by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
- Step 2: Request price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can provide rates from a single company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can give you price quotes from multiple companies. View prices
- Step 3: Compare the quotes to your existing rates and determine if there is any savings. If you find a lower rate and switch companies, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
A good piece of advice is to try to use the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on each price quote and and to look at as many carriers as you can. Doing this guarantees an apples-to-apples comparison and and a good selection of different prices.
If you have a current car insurance policy, you will be able to find the best rates using the ideas covered in this article. Locating the best insurance company for you in Columbus can be much easier if you know how to start. Although Ohio car owners can benefit from knowing the way companies market on the web because it can help you find the best coverage.
When looking for affordable Columbus auto insurance quotes, there are a couple ways of comparing rate quotes from all the different companies. The quickest method to find cheaper Kia Borrego rates is simply to get online rate quotes.
Comparing quotes online is fast and free, and it makes it obsolete to waste gas driving to and from local Columbus insurance agencies. Quoting Kia Borrego insurance online has reduced the need for local agents unless you prefer the professional abilities that only an agent can give. It is possible to obtain prices from the web and have a local agent actually service the policy.
Just keep in mind that comparing a large number of companies will improve the odds of getting a lower rate. Not every company allows you to get price estimates online, so you should also compare prices from them as well.
The companies in the list below are ready to provide price quotes in Columbus, OH. If multiple providers are shown, it’s a good idea that you visit as many as you can to find the lowest car insurance rates.
Auto insurance protects more than just your car
Even though it can be expensive, maintaining insurance is required in Ohio but it also protects you in many ways.
- The majority of states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific minimum amounts of liability protection if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In Ohio these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Kia has a lienholder, most lenders will make it mandatory that you carry insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Kia for a lot more money and force you to pay the higher price.
- Insurance safeguards both your Kia and your personal assets. It will also pay for hospital and medical expenses incurred in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also pays expenses related to your legal defense if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If you have damage to your Kia as the result of the weather or an accident, your auto insurance policy will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of having insurance are definitely more than the cost, especially with large liability claims. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver overpays as much as $810 a year so you should quote your policy with other companies at least once a year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Seven factors that impact insurance costs
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the elements that are used to determine the price you pay for car insurance. When you know what positively or negatively positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this enables you to make decisions that may reward you with cheaper rates. Multiple criteria are taken into consideration when you quote your car insurance policy. Some are obvious like a motor vehicle report, but others are less apparent like your vehicle usage or how safe your car is.
Safer cars save money – Safe vehicles tend to have better insurance rates. These vehicles result in less severe injuries and fewer serious injuries means less claims paid which can mean better rates for you. If your Kia Borrego scored better than an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website it may cost less to insure.
Don’t buy extra policy coverages that may not be needed – Policies have optional add-on coverages that may not really be needed when buying car insurance. Insurance for things like roadside assistance, towing coverage, and membership fees are some examples. These may sound like a good investment when talking to your agent, but if you’ve never needed them in the past get rid of them and save.
Poor credit rating equals high premiums – Credit rating factor in determining what you pay. Insureds that have high credit scores tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records as compared to drivers with worse credit. If your credit leaves room for improvement, you could save money insuring your Kia Borrego by spending a little time repairing your credit.
A policy lapse can increase premiums – Having an insurance coverage lapse is a quick way to pay more for car insurance. Not only will rates go up, getting caught without coverage could result in fines and jail time. You may need to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the Ohio department of motor vehicles.
Vocation can influence premiums – Did you know your job can affect your rates? Careers such as fire fighters, social workers, and emergency personnel generally pay higher premiums than the average policyholder attributed to high stress and lots of time spent at work. Other occupations like professors, engineers and the unemployed have the lowest average rates.
How many miles do you drive? – Driving more miles annually the higher your rates will be. A lot of companies price each vehicle’s coverage based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Vehicles not used for work or commuting get more affordable rates than cars that get driven a lot. Ask your agent if your policy reflects the correct usage for each vehicle. Improper usage on your Borrego may be wasting your money.
Insurance costs and vehicle performance – The make and model of the car or truck you drive makes a huge difference in determining your rates. The most favorable rates are generally reserved for lower performance four cylinder passenger models, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
Car insurance rates and discounts
Some companies don’t always list every policy discount in a way that’s easy to find, so the list below details a few of the more well known and the more hidden discounts that you can inquire about if you buy Columbus auto insurance online.
- Early Signing – A few companies allow discounts for switching policies before your current expiration date. The savings is around 10%.
- Paperless Signup – Many car insurance companies will give you a small discount shop Columbus auto insurance online.
- Payment Discounts – If you can afford to pay the entire bill as opposed to paying monthly you could save up to 5%.
- Homeowners Savings – Just being a homeowner can get you a discount because it is proof of financial responsibility.
- Data Collection Discounts – People who choose to allow their car insurance company to track driving manner remotely like Drivewise from Allstate or In-Drive from State Farm might see lower rates if they have good driving habits.
- Active Military Service – Being deployed with a military unit can result in better prices.
Remember that most discount credits are not given to the overall cost of the policy. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. So even though they make it sound like all those discounts means the company will pay you, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
A partial list of companies who might offer these benefits include:
Before you buy a policy, ask every company to apply every possible discount. A few discounts might not be available to policyholders in your state. For a list of insurance companies who offer free Kia Borrego insurance quotes in Ohio, click here.
Car insurance is unique, just like you
When selecting coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a cookie cutter policy. Every situation is different.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help you determine whether your personal situation will benefit from professional help.
- What if an uninsured driver hits me?
- When should I buy a commercial auto policy?
- Am I insured when driving a different vehicle?
- Does liability extend to a camper or trailer?
- Are my custom wheels covered?
- Should I file a claim if it’s only slightly more than my deductible?
- What are the financial responsibility laws in my state?
- What companies insure drivers after a DUI or DWI?
- How can I get high-risk coverage after a DUI?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you then you might want to talk to an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, complete this form.
Compare rates but buy from a local neighborhood Columbus car insurance agent
Many drivers still prefer to buy from a licensed agent and that is just fine! A nice benefit of comparing rate quotes online is the fact that you can find cheaper prices but also keep your business local.
By using this simple form, the coverage information is immediately sent to local insurance agents that can provide free Columbus auto insurance quotes to get your business. You won’t need to search for any insurance agencies since rate quotes are delivered directly to your email. You can find lower rates without the usual hassles of price shopping. In the event you want to compare prices from a specific insurance company, feel free to search and find their rate quote page to submit a rate quote request.
Choosing a company is decision based upon more than just a cheap price quote. Here are some questions you should ask.
- Will they make sure you get an adequate claim settlement?
- Do you qualify for any additional discounts?
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
- Will the company cover a rental car if your car is getting fixed?
Types of car insurance agents
If you want to use a reliable insurance agent, there are two types of agencies and how they are slightly different. Insurance policy providers are considered either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for.
Agents that elect to be exclusive generally can only insure with one company like State Farm, AAA, Farmers Insurance or Allstate. They usually cannot provide other company’s prices so they really need to provide good service. Exclusive agents are usually well trained on what they offer which can be an advantage.
Listed below are exclusive insurance agencies in Columbus who can help you get comparison quotes.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents of this type do not write with just one company and that enables them to quote your coverage with many different companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If they find a cheaper price, your agent can just switch to a different company and the insured can keep the same agent.
When comparing rate quotes, you need to get insurance quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to get the best comparison.
Shown below are independent insurance agents in Columbus that are able to give price quote information.
Car insurance savings summarized
Cheaper car insurance in Columbus is available on the web and from local agencies, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. There are still a few companies who do not offer price quotes online and many times these regional carriers only sell coverage through independent agents.
When trying to cut insurance costs, it’s a bad idea to reduce coverage to reduce premium. Too many times, an insured dropped liability coverage limits and learned later that they should have had better coverage. Your goal is to buy the best coverage you can find at a price you can afford while still protecting your assets.
Consumers leave their current company for any number of reasons including high prices, denial of a claim, questionable increases in premium or even delays in paying claims. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding the right car insurance provider is less work than it seems.
Additional information can be found on the following sites:
- Learn About Car Insurance (GEICO)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for Business Use in Columbus? (FAQ)
- How Much are Columbus Auto Insurance Quotes for Uninsured Drivers? (FAQ)
- How Much are Columbus Car Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Camry? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Postal Workers in Columbus? (FAQ)
- Vehicle Safety Ratings (iihs.org)
- Rollover Crash FAQ (iihs.org)