No normal person loves paying for insurance, especially when their premiums are too high.
Astonishing but true according to a recent study, the majority of drivers kept buying from the same company for a minimum of four years, and 38% of customers have never compared rate quotes at all. Drivers in Ohio can cut their rates by approximately 55% a year by just comparing rate quotes, but they underestimate the amount of savings they would get if they swap their current policy for a cheaper one.
Since you have so many different company options, it is very difficult to pick the cheapest insurer.
Finding quotes for the lowest cost protection in Columbus is not that difficult. Just about every driver who is overpaying for auto insurance will more than likely get better rates. Nevertheless, Ohio drivers must learn the way insurance companies determine premium rates and use this information to your advantage.
Companies offering Toyota Prius V insurance in Ohio
The following companies provide price comparisons in Columbus, OH. If several companies are displayed, it's a good idea that you get prices from several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Insurance policy discounts for Toyota Prius V insurance in Columbus
Not many people think insurance is cheap, but you may qualify for discounts to cut the cost considerably. A few discounts will automatically apply when you quote, but some discounts are required to be specifically requested before you get the savings.
- Driver Training Discounts - Taking time to complete a course teaching safe driver skills is a good idea and can lower rates and also improve your driving technique.
- Driver's Ed - Have your child take driver's ed class if it's offered in school.
- Own a Home and Save - Simply owning a home can save a few bucks because owning a home is proof of financial responsibility.
- Student in College - College-age children who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Columbus without a vehicle on campus may be able to be covered for less.
- Multi-line Discount - Not all insurance companies offer life insurance, but some may give you a discount if you purchase a life insurance policy as well.
As is typical with insurance, most discount credits are not given to the overall cost of the policy. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. Just because it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, company stockholders wouldn't be very happy.
A few popular companies and some of the discounts are included below.
- Mercury Insurance may include discounts for good student, ease of repair, age of vehicle, accident-free, and professional/association.
- Farmers Insurance includes discounts for good student, youthful driver, homeowner, early shopping, mature driver, pay in full, and teen driver.
- Farm Bureau has savings for 55 and retired, renewal discount, driver training, good student, and youthful driver.
- State Farm may offer discounts for multiple policy, accident-free, Steer Clear safe driver discount, safe vehicle, student away at school, multiple autos, and defensive driving training.
- Allstate has discounts for good student, resident student, premier plus, safe driver, and auto/life discount.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for military active duty, emergency military deployment, seat belt use, multi-policy, defensive driver, and anti-lock brakes.
Before you buy a policy, ask every company what discounts are available to you. Some credits may not apply to policyholders everywhere. If you would like to view companies who offer cheap Toyota Prius V insurance quotes in Ohio, click here to view.
Seven Tips to Get More Affordable Columbus Insurance Premiums
Consumers need to have an understanding of the factors that go into determining your premiums. When you understand what determines base rates, this helps enable you to make changes that could result in big savings.
Men pay higher premiums - Over time, data shows that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. However, this does not mean men are worse drivers. Both genders are responsible for auto accidents in similar numbers, but men cause more damage. Men also get ticketed for serious violations like driving under the influence (DUI).
Insurance rates for married couples - Having a wife or husband can actually save you money on your policy. It generally demonstrates drivers are more mature and it's statistically proven that drivers who are married file infrequent claims.
Cars with good safety ratings cost less to insure - Vehicles with good safety scores tend to have better insurance rates. Vehicles engineered for safety reduce injuries and better occupant protection translates directly to fewer claims and lower rates for you. If your Toyota Prius V has ratings of a minimum an "acceptable" rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website you may be receiving a better rate.
Companies want multiple policies - Most auto insurance companies allow lower prices for people who consolidate policies with them such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Even with this discount, it's in your best interest to get quotes from other companies to make sure you are getting the best deal. Consumers may save money by buying insurance from more than one company.
Reserve insurance claims for larger damages - Car insurance companies in Ohio provide better rates to people who do not file claims often. If you tend to file frequent claims, you can look forward to much higher rates or policy non-renewal. Your car insurance is designed for larger claims.
Do you work long hours in a tough employer? - Did you know your career choice can influence rates? Jobs such as fire fighters, architects, and emergency personnel tend to have higher premiums than the average policyholder because of intense work requirements and lots of time spent at work. On the flip side, careers like farmers, historians and retirees have lower than average premiums.
The type of car makes a difference - The performance of the car you drive makes a huge difference in your premium level. The lowest performance passenger cars generally receive the lowest base rates, but your final cost has many other factors.
Insurance losses for a Toyota Prius V - Companies take into consideration historical loss data for every vehicle to help calculate a profitable premium price. Vehicles that the statistics show to have a trend towards higher claims will have higher rates for specific coverages.
The table below illustrates the insurance loss data for Toyota Prius V vehicles. For each coverage type, the claim probability for all vehicles, as an average, is equal to 100. Percentage numbers below 100 indicate a favorable loss history, while numbers shown that are more than 100 indicate more frequent losses or a tendency for claims to be larger.
|Specific Toyota Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Toyota Prius V Hybrid||94||86||88||88||94||97|
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Tailor your car insurance coverage to you
Always remember that when buying a policy for your personal vehicles, there really is no cookie cutter policy. Your situation is unique.
These are some specific questions might point out if your situation might need an agent's assistance.
- Can good grades get a discount?
- Are rock-chip repairs free?
- Is a new car covered when I drive it off the dealer lot?
- Who does medical payments coverage extend to?
- Why am I required to buy high-risk coverage?
- Do I need PIP coverage since I have good health insurance?
If you don't know the answers to these questions but you know they apply to you, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. If you don't have a local agent, fill out this quick form.
Compare rate quotes but buy from a local neighborhood Columbus car insurance agent
A lot of people would rather get advice from a local agent and that is a personal choice. One of the best bonuses of comparing rate quotes online is the fact that drivers can get cheap auto insurance rates and still choose a local agent. And buying from neighborhood insurance agencies is still important in Columbus.
By using this short form, the quote information is transmitted to local insurance agents in Columbus that can provide free Columbus auto insurance quotes for your business. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won't have to search for any insurance agencies as quotes are delivered to you directly. It's the lowest rates and an insurance agent to talk to. If you wish to get a rate quote for a specific company, feel free to go to their quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
If you want to use local Columbus agents, it can be helpful to understand the different types of agencies from which to choose. Auto insurance agencies are categorized either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for.
Independent agents can quote rates with many companies so as a result can place your coverage with a variety of different insurance companies depending on which coverage is best. If your premiums go up, an independent agent can move your coverage and you don't have to do anything.
When shopping rates, it's a good idea to check rates from independent agents to get the best comparison.
Featured below is a small list of independent agents in Columbus that may be able to provide cheap rate quotes.
Agents of this type can only quote rates from one company and some examples include State Farm, Allstate, and Farm Bureau. They generally cannot compare other company's rates so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive agents are well trained on their products and sales techniques which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Below are exclusive insurance agencies in Columbus that are able to give rate quotes.
Choosing the best insurance agency should depend on more than just the bottom line cost. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- How long has the business existed?
- Do you work with a CSR or direct with the agent?
- Is the agency covered by Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Is the agent CPCU or CIC certified?
- Is insurance their full-time profession?
- Is auto insurance their primary focus in Columbus?
More effort can pay off
We just showed you a lot of tips how to lower your Toyota Prius V insurance auto insurance rates in Columbus. The key thing to remember is the more companies you get premium rates for, the better your chances of lowering your premium rates. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest priced car insurance comes from a small local company.
People switch companies for many reasons like being labeled a high risk driver, delays in paying claims, poor customer service and even not issuing a premium refund. It doesn't matter why you want to switch switching companies is not as hard as you think.
As you restructure your insurance plan, make sure you don't skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In many cases, someone dropped liability limits or collision coverage only to find out that the savings was not a smart move. Your goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage at an affordable rate but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
How to buy lower priced Toyota Prius V insurance in Columbus
The best way to find more affordable Toyota Prius V insurance in Columbus is to regularly compare quotes from insurance carriers who can sell car insurance in Ohio.
Step 1: Take a little time to learn about policy coverages and the factors you can control to keep rates down. Many policy risk factors that are responsible for high rates like at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and poor credit history can be improved by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility.
Step 2: Request price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can only give rate quotes from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while agents who are independent can quote prices from multiple insurance companies. Compare rates now
Step 3: Compare the new quotes to the price on your current policy and see if there is a cheaper rate. If you find a lower rate and change companies, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
Step 4: Provide written notification to your current company of your intention to cancel your current coverage. Submit payment and a signed application for the new policy. Make sure you keep the new certificate verifying proof of insurance in your vehicle.
One key aspect when comparing rates is to make sure you enter the same amount of coverage on every quote request and and to compare every company you can. Doing this enables an apples-to-apples comparison and the best price selection.
Additional car insurance information can be read at these links:
- Older Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are Columbus Auto Insurance Quotes for Uninsured Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for Electric Cars in Columbus? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a Ford Explorer in Columbus? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Teenagers in Columbus? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for Low Income Drivers in Columbus? (FAQ)
- How Much are Columbus Auto Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Highlander? (FAQ)
- Crash Avoidance Technologies FAQ (iihs.org)
- Credit Impacts Car Insurance Rates (State Farm)
- Choosing an Insurance Company (Insurance Information Institute)
- Safety Tips for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)