Overpriced Acura ILX insurance in Columbus can draw down your personal savings and put the squeeze on your family’s finances.
Sad but true, almost 70% of insureds have purchased from the same company for at least the last four years, and nearly the majority have never compared rates to find lower-cost insurance. Many consumers in Ohio could save approximately $730 a year by just comparing rate quotes, but they don’t invest the time required to compare rate quotes online.
Steps to buying affordable Acura ILX insurance in Columbus
If your goal is the lowest price, then the best way to find better pricing on auto insurance rates is to start doing an annual price comparison from insurers that sell auto insurance in Columbus. This can be done by following these steps.
- Gain an understanding of coverages and the things you can change to prevent expensive coverage. Many factors that drive up the price such as accidents, careless driving, and a not-so-good credit history can be rectified by making minor changes to your lifestyle. Continue reading for more ideas to get affordable coverage and find missing discounts.
- Quote rates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give rate quotes from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agents can provide rate quotes from many different companies.
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing coverage to see if cheaper ILX coverage is available in Columbus. If you find a better price and decide to switch, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
One thing to remember is to compare identical limits and deductibles on every price quote and and to compare as many different companies as possible. Doing this ensures the most accurate price comparison and plenty of rates choose from.
Lots of auto insurance companies contend for your insurance dollar, and it can be difficult to compare rates and get the best coverage at the lowest rate possible on Acura ILX insurance in Columbus.
You need to compare prices every six months because prices are adjusted regularly by insurance companies. Even if you got the best price on Acura ILX insurance in Columbus last year you may be paying too much now. Ignore everything you know about car insurance because you’re about to find out how to use online quotes to find better coverage on Acura ILX insurance in Columbus at a better price.
If you are insured now or just want to save money, use these money-saving tips to cut your premiums and still have adequate protection. Locating the best rates in Columbus is quite easy if you know the best way to do it. Smart buyers just have to know the quickest method to compare different rates using one simple form.
Which Acura ILX insurance is cheapest in Columbus?
Finding cheap Columbus auto insurance rates is a fairly straight forward process. All you need to do is take the time getting comparison quotes to discover which company has affordable Columbus car insurance quotes.
It’s so easy to compare rate quotes online that it takes the place of having to spend time driving to each insurance agency near you. The ability to quote Acura ILX insurance online reduces the need to sit down with an agent unless you have a need for the extra assistance that can only be provided by a licensed insurance agent. Some companies do allow you to compare the best prices online and have a local agent actually service the policy.
The following companies are our best choices to provide free quotes in Ohio. If the list has multiple companies, we recommend you click on several of them to get the best price comparison.
Three reasons to not skimp on auto insurance
Despite the high insurance cost for a Acura ILX in Columbus, maintaining insurance is mandatory in Ohio but it also protects more than you think.
- Most states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require a specific level of liability insurance in order to be legal. In Ohio these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Acura with a loan, it’s guaranteed your bank will require that you buy full coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the lender will be forced to insure your Acura at an extremely high rate and make you pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance protects both your assets and your Acura. It will also reimburse you for many types of medical costs for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you are sued as the result of an accident. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of having insurance are definitely more than the cost, especially with large liability claims. An average driver in America is overpaying more than $820 a year so compare rate quotes once a year at a minimum to ensure rates are competitive.
Columbus car insurance discounts
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, but there are discounts available that may help make it more affordable. Certain reductions will be credited when you complete an application, but some may not be applied and must be specifically requested in order for you to get them. If you do not check that you are getting every discount available, you are just wasting money.
- Driver’s Ed – Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them participate in a local driver’s education class in school.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Vehicles that have steering control and anti-lock brakes can avoid accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- No Accidents – Drivers with accident-free driving histories have much lower rates when compared to policyholders that have many claims.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags can qualify for discounts up to 30%.
- Student in College – College-age children who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Columbus and do not have access to a covered vehicle could get you a discount.
- Club Memberships – Affiliation with qualifying clubs or civic groups is a simple method to lower premiums when getting a Columbus car insurance quote.
Discounts lower rates, but most discount credits are not given to all coverage premiums. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. Despite the appearance that all those discounts means the company will pay you, that’s just not realistic.
A list of car insurance companies and their possible discounts are shown below.
- Progressive discounts include multi-policy, multi-vehicle, online quote discount, online signing, homeowner, and continuous coverage.
- The Hartford may offer discounts for defensive driver, vehicle fuel type, driver training, good student, and anti-theft.
- Mercury Insurance offers discounts for location of vehicle, good driver, age of vehicle, good student, and multi-car.
- GEICO has discounts for multi-policy, seat belt use, federal employee, military active duty, anti-theft, and anti-lock brakes.
- AAA includes discounts for good student, anti-theft, pay-in-full, education and occupation, and AAA membership discount.
- State Farm may include discounts for good driver, anti-theft, driver’s education, defensive driving training, multiple autos, and accident-free.
Before buying, ask every prospective company how you can save money. Depending on the company, some discounts may not apply everywhere. To see a list of providers with discount rates in Columbus, click here to view.
How do I know if I need professional advice?
When it comes to your policy for your personal vehicles, there really is not a cookie cutter policy. Everyone’s situation is a little different and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply.
These are some specific questions can help discover if your situation could use an agent’s help.
- Are rock chip repairs covered?
- Is my camper covered for physical damage?
- What is the minimum liability in Ohio?
- Does coverage extend to a rental car in a foreign country?
- Can I get by with minimal medical coverage if I have good health insurance?
- Do I need an umbrella policy?
- What companies insure drivers after a DUI or DWI?
- When can my company non-renew my policy?
If you can’t answer these questions, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, complete this form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area. It is quick, free and can provide invaluable advice.
What if I want to buy from local Columbus car insurance agents?
Some consumers prefer to have an agent’s advice and that is not a bad decision Agents are highly skilled in risk management and help submit paperwork. One of the benefits of getting online price quotes is the fact that you can find the lowest rates and still choose a local agent.
To find an agent, once you fill out this form (opens in new window), your insurance data gets sent to local insurance agents in Columbus that can give you free Columbus car insurance quotes for your car insurance coverage. You never need to search for any insurance agencies because quoted prices will be sent immediately to your email address. If you need to get a price quote from a specific insurance company, don’t hesitate to navigate to their website and fill out their quote form.
Choosing the best company should include more criteria than just a cheap price quote. Some important questions to ask are:
- If you have an accident, will your rates go up?
- How long has their agency been open in Columbus?
- Will a damage claim use OEM or aftermarket replacement parts?
- Do the coverages you’re quoting properly cover your vehicle?
- Will they give you a referral list?
- How are claims handled?
Detailed coverages of your car insurance policy
Understanding the coverages of your policy can help you determine which coverages you need at the best deductibles and correct limits. The coverage terms in a policy can be confusing and coverage can change by endorsement. Below you’ll find the normal coverages available from car insurance companies.
Auto liability insurance
Liability insurance protects you from injuries or damage you cause to people or other property in an accident. It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. You commonly see liability limits of 25/50/25 that translate to a limit of $25,000 per injured person, a limit of $50,000 in injury protection per accident, and property damage coverage for $25,000.
Liability insurance covers things like loss of income, pain and suffering, court costs, medical services and structural damage. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a personal decision, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as much as you can afford. Ohio requires drivers to carry at least 25/50/25 but you should consider buying higher limits.
The chart below demonstrates why low liability limits may not be high enough to adequately cover claims.
Uninsured or underinsured coverage
This protects you and your vehicle when the “other guys” either have no liability insurance or not enough. It can pay for injuries to you and your family and also any damage incurred to your Acura ILX.
Because many people have only the minimum liability required by law (25/50/25), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. So UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family.
Comprehensive insurance covers damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You need to pay your deductible first then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims such as theft, damage from a tornado or hurricane and hail damage. The maximum payout you’ll receive from a claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider dropping full coverage.
Auto collision coverage
Collision insurance will pay to fix damage to your ILX from colliding with another car or object. You first must pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage pays for things like driving through your garage door, sustaining damage from a pot hole, rolling your car, crashing into a ditch and sideswiping another vehicle. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so you might think about dropping it from lower value vehicles. You can also choose a higher deductible on your ILX to save money on collision insurance.
Medical expense coverage
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage provide coverage for bills for things like hospital visits, chiropractic care and X-ray expenses. They are utilized in addition to your health insurance policy or if you do not have health coverage. They cover all vehicle occupants and also covers if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal Injury Protection is not an option in every state but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
More effort can pay off
When shopping online for auto insurance, it’s very important that you do not buy less coverage just to save a little money. Too many times, an accident victim reduced physical damage coverage only to regret they didn’t have enough coverage. The aim is to find the BEST coverage for the lowest cost, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
There are still a few companies who may not offer online price quotes and usually these regional insurance providers only sell coverage through independent insurance agents. Low-cost Acura ILX insurance in Columbus can be bought both online and from local agencies, so compare prices from both to have the best selection.
How to find better rates for Acura ILX insurance in Columbus
If you want to save money, the best way to find discount auto insurance rates in Columbus is to compare quotes once a year from companies in Ohio.
- Read about policy coverages and the things you can change to prevent rate increases. Many factors that are responsible for high rates like tickets, at-fault accidents, and a bad credit score can be eliminated by making minor changes to your lifestyle.
- Compare prices from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can provide rates from a single company like GEICO and State Farm, while agents who are independent can quote prices from many different companies.
- Compare the quotes to your current policy to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find a lower rate quote and make a switch, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Give notification to your current company to cancel your current policy. Submit payment and a completed application to your new agent or company. Make sure you keep the new certificate verifying coverage with your vehicle’s registration.
A key point to remember is that you’ll want to make sure you compare similar deductibles and liability limits on every quote request and and to analyze all possible companies. Doing this provides the most accurate price comparison and and a good selection of different prices.
Additional auto insurance information can be read below:
- Air Bags: Potential Dangers to Your Children (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Columbus Car Insurance Quotes for Safe Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Columbus Car Insurance Quotes for Single Moms? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Good Students in Columbus? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Columbus Car Insurance for Unemployed Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for High Mileage Drivers in Columbus? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Columbus Auto Insurance for a Toyota Tacoma? (FAQ)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Auto Insurance 101 (About.com)