It takes a little time, but the best way to get more affordable Chevy Traverse insurance in Columbus is to compare quotes once a year from providers in Ohio.
- Try to learn a little about policy coverages and the measures you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating factors that increase rates like your driving record and a bad credit rating can be improved by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility. Read the full article for ideas to help find cheaper rates and get additional discounts that may have been overlooked.
- Get rate quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can only provide price estimates from a single company like GEICO or Allstate, while independent agencies can give you price quotes from multiple sources.
- Compare the price quotes to your existing coverage to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find a lower rate, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
- Tell your current company of your decision to cancel your current car insurance policy and submit a completed application and payment for the new coverage. Make sure you place the new certificate verifying proof of insurance with your registration paperwork.
One piece of advice is that you use identical coverages on every quote and and to get price quotes from every insurance company. Doing this enables a level playing field and a good representation of prices.
Amazingly, a recent NerdWallet.com study showed that the vast majority of consumers kept their coverage with the same auto insurance company for well over three years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never compared auto insurance rates at all. Ohio drivers could save up to 55% each year, but they don't know the benefits if they replace their high priced policy.
The companies shown below provide comparison quotes in Ohio. If the list has multiple companies, we suggest you get rate quotes from several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Take advantage of these discounts on Chevy Traverse insurance in Columbus
Companies offering auto insurance don't always publicize every discount available in a way that's easy to find, so the below list has both the well known and also the more inconspicuous ways to save on car insurance.
- Online Discount - A handful of larger companies may give you up to $50 simply for signing over the internet.
- Bundle and Save - When you have multiple policies with one company you could earn a discount of as much as 10 to 15 percent.
- Low Mileage - Low mileage vehicles could earn better car insurance rates on cars that stay parked.
- Discount for Home Ownership - Owning your own home or condo can get you a discount because of the fact that having a home requires personal responsibility.
- No Charge for an Accident - Not necessarily a discount, but a few companies such as Liberty Mutual, Allstate and State Farm will turn a blind eye to one accident without getting socked with a rate hike if you have no claims for a set time period.
- Savings for New Vehicles - Buying a new car model may earn a small discount since newer vehicles are generally safer.
- Seat Belts Save - Drivers who require all occupants to use a seat belt can save 10% or more off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- Good Student - Getting good grades could provide a savings of up to 20% or more. The good student discount can last until age 25.
As a footnote on discounts, most discount credits are not given to the whole policy. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Even though the math looks like all those discounts means the company will pay you, it just doesn't work that way. Any qualifying discounts will cut your car insurance premiums.
The example below visualizes the comparison of Chevy Traverse annual premium costs with and without discounts being applied to the rates. The information is based on a male driver, no claims or driving citations, Ohio state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with homeowner, marriage, claim-free, multi-car, safe-driver, and multi-policy discounts applied.
To view providers who offer car insurance discounts in Columbus, follow this link.
Rates and statistics
The premium table shown next outlines a range of policy rates for Chevy Traverse models. Understanding more about how insurance prices are established can benefit drivers when making smart choices when purchasing an auto insurance policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Traverse LS 2WD||$168||$284||$202||$12||$60||$726||$61|
|Traverse LS AWD||$190||$284||$202||$12||$60||$748||$62|
|Traverse LT 2WD||$190||$284||$202||$12||$60||$748||$62|
|Traverse LT AWD||$190||$346||$202||$12||$60||$810||$68|
|Traverse LTZ 2WD||$190||$346||$202||$12||$60||$810||$68|
|Traverse LTZ AWD||$190||$346||$202||$12||$60||$810||$68|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on married female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Ohio minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, claim-free, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and homeowner. Premium amounts do not factor in specific location which can revise prices considerably.
Impact of speeding/accidents on auto insurance rates
The information below demonstrates how speeding tickets and accidents increase Chevy Traverse car insurance costs for each different age category. The data assumes a single female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $100 deductibles, and no discounts are factored in.
Males versus Females
The information below visualizes the comparison of Chevy Traverse auto insurance rates for male and female drivers. The premium estimates are based on no violations or claims, comprehensive and collision coverage, $250 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no other discounts are factored in.
Full coverage versus liability-only in Columbus
The example below illustrates the difference between Chevy Traverse insurance rates with full coverage and liability only. The premiums assume a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are factored in.
Should you pay for full coverage?
There is no set rule of when to exclude physical damage coverage, but there is a guideline you can use. If the yearly cost for physical damage coverage is more than around 10% of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then you might consider buying liability only.
For example, let's say your Chevy Traverse replacement cost is $7,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, you would only receive $6,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If premium cost is more than $600 a year for your policy with full coverage, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
There are some scenarios where removing full coverage is not a good idea. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you have to maintain full coverage in order to prevent your loan from defaulting. Also, if you don't have enough money to buy a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should not buy liability only.
Why You Might Pay Higher Rates in Columbus
Many things are used in the calculation when pricing auto insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious such as traffic violations, although others are less apparent like where you live or your commute time.
The list below includes a few of the things companies use to determine your rate level.
- Your employer can affect prices - Did you know your career choice can influence rates? Careers like doctors, airline pilots, and stock brokers tend to pay the highest rates because of intense work requirements and lengthy work days. Conversely, occupations like actors, athletes and the unemployed pay lower than average rates.
- Improve your credit history and save - An insured's credit history can be an important factor in your rate calculation. Insureds that have excellent credit scores tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records as compared to drivers with lower credit ratings. If your credit history could use some work, you could pay less to insure your Chevrolet Traverse by taking the time to improve your credit score.
- Discounts for multiple policies - Lots of insurance companies allow discounts for people who have multiple policies with them in the form of a multi-policy discount. The amount of the discounts can be five, ten or even twenty percent. Even if you already get this discount, consumers should still compare other Columbus Traverse insurance rates to verify if the discount is saving money.
Younger drivers cost more - Older, more experienced drivers have been proven to be more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents, and are safer drivers. Teenage drivers are proven to be inattentive and easily distracted with other occupants in the car therefore car insurance rates are much higher.
The next chart assumes a single driver, full coverage with $100 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
- Being married brings a discount - Having a wife or husband can actually save you money on your car insurance bill. It is viewed as being more mature and responsible and insurance companies like that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
Insurance loss probability for a Chevy Traverse - Insurers use statistical claims data in order to profitably underwrite each model. Vehicles that statistically have higher prevalence or dollar amount of losses will have a higher premium rate.
The table below demonstrates the insurance loss data for Chevy Traverse vehicles. For each coverage category, the claim probability for all vehicles, regardless of make or model, is set at 100. Values that are under 100 indicate better than average losses, while values over 100 point to more frequent losses or an increased likelihood of larger losses.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Chevrolet Traverse Vehicles Vehicle Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Chevrolet Traverse 4dr 2WD 75 101 72 93 90 90 Chevrolet Traverse 4dr 4WD 72 91 82 78 76 78BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years