It's an obvious assumption that insurance companies don't want you comparing rates. People who shop around for the cheapest rate will, in all likelihood, switch companies because there is a good probability of finding a lower-cost company. A survey found that people who routinely shopped for cheaper coverage saved on average $865 a year compared to people who never shopped around for cheaper prices.
If finding low prices for car insurance is your goal, understanding the best way to compare insurance coverage can help you succeed in saving money.
To save the most money, the best way to get cheaper Volvo C30 insurance in Columbus is to start comparing rates regularly from different companies who can sell car insurance in Ohio. You can shop around by following these steps.
Step 1: Try to comprehend how auto insurance works and the measures you can control to keep rates low. Many things that cause rate increases like speeding tickets, careless driving and an imperfect credit rating can be amended by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
Step 2: Obtain price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only give rate quotes from one company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can give you price quotes for many different companies.
Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your existing rates to see if a cheaper rate is available in Columbus. If you can save some money and buy the policy, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
Step 4: Give proper notification to your current agent or company to cancel your existing policy and submit a completed application and payment to the new company. Once the application is submitted, put the proof of insurance paperwork in your glove compartment.
A valuable tip to remember is to make sure you're comparing similar deductibles and liability limits on every quote request and and to get quotes from as many carriers as you can. Doing this ensures an accurate price comparison and the most accurate and complete price analysis.
Keep in mind that quoting more will enable you to find a better price. Some regional insurers cannot provide Columbus C30 insurance quotes over the internet, so you also need to get prices from them as well.
The car insurance companies shown below are our best choices to provide price comparisons in Ohio. If several companies are displayed, it's highly recommended you visit as many as you can to get the best price comparison.
Do you qualify for these eight discounts?
Companies offering auto insurance don't always list every available discount in a way that's easy to find, so we researched both well-publicized as well as the least known credits available to you. If they aren't giving you every credit you deserve, you are just wasting money.
- Theft Deterrent Discount - Cars with anti-theft systems have a lower chance of being stolen and will save you 10% or more on C30 insurance in Columbus.
- Braking Control Discount - Vehicles that have anti-lock braking systems are much safer to drive and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Air Bag Discount - Factory options such as air bags or automatic seat belts may get savings of up to 25% or more.
- Responsible Drivers - Safe drivers could pay up to 40% less than their less cautious counterparts.
- Good Student - A discount for being a good student can earn a discount of 20% or more. Most companies allow this discount well after school through age 25.
- Service Members Pay Less - Being deployed with a military unit could trigger a small discount.
- Seat Belt Discounts - Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to buckle up could save 15% off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- Student in College - Any of your kids who are enrolled in higher education away from home and do not have a car can be insured at a reduced rate.
A little note about advertised discounts, some of the credits will not apply to your bottom line cost. Most cut specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. So even though you would think you would end up receiving a 100% discount, nobody gets a free ride. But all discounts should definitely cut your premiums.
The illustration below compares Volvo C30 car insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the policy rates. The premiums assume a female driver, no accidents, no driving violations, Ohio state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with marriage, multi-car, multi-policy, homeowner, safe-driver, and claim-free discounts applied.
A few of the larger companies and some of their more popular discounts are:
- Farm Bureau may have discounts that include good student, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, 55 and retired, renewal discount, driver training, and youthful driver.
- State Farm has discounts for good student, driver's education, multiple policy, student away at school, and Drive Safe & Save.
- Progressive discounts include multi-policy, online signing, online quote discount, homeowner, continuous coverage, good student, and multi-vehicle.
- Allstate offers discounts including farm vehicle, new car, good student, multi-policy, and good payer.
- Nationwide policyholders can earn discounts including business or organization, easy pay, family plan, multi-policy, Farm Bureau membership, defensive driving, and accident-free.
- MetLife has savings for good driver, good student, multi-policy, defensive driver, claim-free, and accident-free.
Before you buy a policy, ask each insurance company to apply every possible discount. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not apply everywhere. To choose providers with significant discounts in Ohio, click this link.
Rates and other information
The table shown below outlines detailed analysis of insurance costs for Volvo C30 models. Having a good grasp of how insurance prices are figured can help you make smart choices when buying a car insurance policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|C30 T5 R-Design||$138||$276||$238||$14||$72||$738||$62|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data variables include married female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Ohio minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, safe-driver, multi-policy, claim-free, and multi-vehicle. Premium amounts do not factor in Columbus location which can lower or raise coverage prices noticeably.
The illustration below illustrates how choosing a deductible and can affect Volvo C30 insurance premiums for each different age group. The costs are based on a single female driver, full physical damage coverage, and no other discounts are factored in.
Safe drivers pay cheaper rates
The example below illustrates how traffic citations and fender-benders can affect Volvo C30 insurance rates for different age groups. The information is based on a single male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $100 deductibles, and no discounts are applied.
Insurance cost for men versus women
The diagram below shows the difference between Volvo C30 yearly insurance costs for male and female drivers. The prices are based on no violations or claims, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Do you need full coverage?
The example below compares Volvo C30 car insurance costs with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying the minimum liability limits required in Ohio. The premium estimates are based on no accidents, no driving violations, $1,000 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are factored in.
Should you be buying full coverage?
There is no clear-cut rule of when to eliminate comp and collision coverage, but there is a general guideline. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is 10% or more of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
For example, let's pretend your Volvo C30 settlement value is $7,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most your company would pay you is $6,000 after you pay the deductible. If it's costing you more than $600 a year for physical damage coverage, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
There are some situations where dropping full coverage is not in your best interest. If you still have a loan on your vehicle, you are required to maintain full coverage in order to prevent the bank from purchasing higher-priced coverage. Also, if you don't have enough money to buy a different vehicle if your current one is totaled, you should maintain full coverage.
When do I need to talk to an insurance agent?
Many people just prefer to talk to a local agent and often times that is recommended The biggest benefit of getting free rate quotes online is you may find cheaper rates but also keep your business local.
After filling out this short form, your insurance data is transmitted to insurance agents in Columbus who want to provide quotes for your coverage. You never need to contact any insurance agencies because prices are sent directly to you. You'll get the best rates AND an agent nearby. If for some reason you want to get a price quote from a specific car insurance provider, don't hesitate to navigate to their website and give them your coverage information.
Picking an insurance company requires more thought than just a cheap price quote. Get answers to these questions too.
- Will the company cover a rental car if your car is getting fixed?
- Will the agent or a CSR service your policy?
- What is the financial rating for the quoted company?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- How are claims handled?
- How would your car be valued if totaled?
The difference between Columbus car insurance agents
If you want to use a local insurance agency, there are a couple of types of agencies and how they are distinctly different. Agents are classified as either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
These type of agents write business for a single company such as Farmers Insurance, State Farm, or Allstate. They are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive insurance agents are trained well on sales techniques which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
Shown below is a short list of exclusive agencies in Columbus that can give you rate quotes.
Independent Car Insurance Agencies
Agents that choose to be independent are not limited to a single company so they can quote policies with lots of companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. To move your coverage to a new company, the business is moved internally and you can keep the same agent. When shopping rates, you will definitely want to contact a few independent agents to have the most options to choose from.
Listed below are independent agencies in Columbus willing to provide price quote information.
Upon getting positive responses to all your questions and an acceptable price quote, you've probably found an auto insurance agent that meets your needs to adequately provide car insurance. It's important to know that it's your policy and you can terminate coverage any time you want so never assume you are locked into any specific company for any length of time.
Insurance is not optional
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a Volvo in Columbus, paying for insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
- Most states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to buy specific minimum amounts of liability insurance in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Ohio these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your Volvo, it's guaranteed your bank will force you to buy full coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank may insure your Volvo at a much higher premium rate and force you to reimburse them for the expensive policy.
- Insurance protects both your Volvo C30 and your assets. It also can pay for hospital and medical expenses incurred in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also covers legal expenses if you are sued as the result of an accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, your policy will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of insuring your car definitely exceed the price paid, especially when you need to use it. On average, a vehicle owner in Columbus is wasting up to $750 every year so compare rate quotes at every policy renewal to make sure the price is not too high.
Auto insurance specifics
Understanding the coverages of a auto insurance policy can help you determine the right coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. The terms used in a policy can be impossible to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Below you'll find typical coverage types offered by auto insurance companies.
Coverage for liability
Liability coverage can cover damages or injuries you inflict on other people or property in an accident. Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. Your policy might show policy limits of 25/50/25 that translate to a $25,000 limit per person for injuries, a total of $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and property damage coverage for $25,000.
Liability coverage protects against claims such as legal defense fees, repair bills for other people's vehicles and repair costs for stationary objects. How much coverage you buy is a decision to put some thought into, but you should buy as much as you can afford. Ohio state minimum liability requirements are 25/50/25 but you should think about purchasing higher limits.
The illustration below shows why buying minimum limits may not be enough coverage.
Coverage for collisions
Collision coverage will pay to fix damage to your C30 resulting from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You first must pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision insurance covers claims like crashing into a ditch, scraping a guard rail, hitting a parking meter, crashing into a building and hitting a mailbox. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider dropping it from older vehicles. Drivers also have the option to bump up the deductible on your C30 to get cheaper collision coverage.
Uninsured and underinsured coverage
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage gives you protection from other drivers when they do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered losses include medical payments for you and your occupants and damage to your Volvo C30.
Since a lot of drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (which is 25/50/25), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. That's why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is a good idea.
Comprehensive insurance coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You need to pay your deductible first then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for claims like damage from a tornado or hurricane, hail damage, damage from flooding and fire damage. The maximum amount your auto insurance company will pay is the ACV or actual cash value, so if the vehicle is not worth much it's probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Coverage for medical payments
Med pay and PIP coverage reimburse you for immediate expenses for nursing services, X-ray expenses, dental work and funeral costs. They are utilized in addition to your health insurance policy or if you do not have health coverage. They cover not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and also covers being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP coverage is not an option in every state but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Smart shoppers get results
In this article, we covered a lot of tips how to find lower-cost Volvo C30 insurance in Columbus. The key concept to understand is the more you quote Columbus auto insurance, the better your comparison will be. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest priced auto insurance comes from a lesser-known regional company. These smaller insurers often have lower prices on specific markets than their larger competitors like Progressive and GEICO.
When buying insurance coverage, it's a bad idea to skimp on coverage in order to save money. Too many times, an insured cut uninsured motorist or liability limits only to regret at claim time that it was a big mistake. Your strategy should be to purchase plenty of coverage at an affordable rate but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
There are still a few companies who may not offer online rate quotes and most of the time these regional carriers only sell through independent agents. Budget-conscious Volvo C30 insurance can be purchased online in addition to local insurance agencies, and you should be comparing both in order to have the best price selection to choose from.
More information can be read on the following sites:
- Dangers of fake or stolen airbags (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for Used Cars in Columbus? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers Over Age 60 in Columbus? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Columbus Car Insurance for a GMC Acadia? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for Ride Shares in Columbus? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Postal Workers in Columbus? (FAQ)
- What Does No-Fault Insurance Cover? (Allstate)
- Auto Insurance for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Where can I buy Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Safety Features for Your New Car (State Farm)