If saving money is your primary concern, then the best way to get budget car insurance rates is to compare prices at least once a year from companies who provide car insurance in Columbus.
First, spend a few minutes and learn about car insurance and the measures you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many factors that result in higher rates like accidents, traffic violations, and a less-than-favorable credit history can be remedied by making minor changes to your lifestyle. Continue reading for information to find cheap prices and get additional discounts.
Second, request rate estimates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only give prices from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agents can provide price quotes from many different companies.
Third, compare the new rate quotes to your existing policy to determine if you can save on Colorado insurance in Columbus. If you find better rates and switch companies, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
Fourth, give proper notification to your current agent or company of your decision to cancel your current auto insurance policy and submit a signed application and payment to your new company or agent. As soon as you have the new policy, keep your new proof of insurance certificate somewhere easily accessible.
An important part of this process is to use the same liability limits and deductibles on each quote request and and to get price estimates from all possible companies. This ensures a fair rate comparison and and a good selection of different prices.
Statistics show that almost 70% of drivers kept their coverage with the same car insurance company for at least four years, and approximately 40% of consumers have never compared car insurance rates at all. With the average premium in Ohio being $1,343, drivers can save 55% each year, but they don't believe the amount of money they would save if they replace their high priced policy.
The quickest method to compare rate quotes for Chevy Colorado insurance in Columbus is to take advantage of the fact all the major auto insurance companies allow for online access to provide you with free rate quotes. To get started, all you need to do is provide a little information including your credit rating estimate, types of safety features, whether or not you need a SR-22, and if you're married. Those rating factors is then sent to many different companies and they respond with quotes immediately.
To compare rates for your Chevy Colorado now, click here and find out if you can get cheaper insurance in Columbus.
The providers in the list below are our best choices to provide free quotes in Ohio. If multiple providers are shown, it's a good idea that you compare several of them to get the best price comparison.
Why you need quality insurance for your Colorado
Even though Columbus Colorado insurance rates can get expensive, maintaining insurance is required in Ohio but it also protects you in many ways.
- Almost all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific limits of liability if you don't want to risk a ticket. In Ohio these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Chevy, it's most likely the lender will require that you have insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the bank may insure your Chevy at a more expensive rate and force you to pay the higher premium.
- Auto insurance preserves your car and your assets. It will also provide coverage for all forms of medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance will also pay attorney fees if you are sued as the result of an accident. If you have damage to your Chevy as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of insuring your Colorado definitely exceed the price paid, particularly for liability claims. But the average American driver is wasting up to $825 a year so you should quote rates at every policy renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Chevy Colorado insurance rates and statistics
The price information below covers a range of prices for Chevy Colorado models. Learning as much as possible about how auto insurance policy rates are calculated can help you make smart policy decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Colorado LT 2WD||$82||$162||$214||$12||$64||$534||$45|
|Colorado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$96||$198||$214||$12||$64||$584||$49|
|Colorado LT 4WD||$96||$162||$182||$10||$54||$504||$42|
|Colorado LT Crew Cab 2WD||$96||$198||$214||$12||$64||$584||$49|
|Colorado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$96||$162||$182||$10||$54||$504||$42|
|Colorado LT Crew Cab 4WD||$110||$198||$182||$10||$54||$554||$46|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Ohio minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, homeowner, claim-free, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle. Premium amounts do not factor in zip code location which can alter auto insurance rates considerably.
Auto insurance premiums based on gender
The example below shows the comparison of Chevy Colorado auto insurance costs for male and female drivers. Data assumes a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, full coverage, $1,000 deductibles, marital status is single, and no policy discounts are applied.
Full coverage rates compared to liability-only
The illustration below compares Chevy Colorado insurance rates with and without physical damage coverage. The rates are based on no claims, a clean driving record, $100 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
When to buy liability coverage only
There is no specific rule to drop comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a broad guideline. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is more than around 10% of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
For example, let's say your Chevy Colorado replacement value is $5,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, the most you would receive is $4,000 after paying your deductible. If you are paying over $400 annually for your policy with full coverage, then you might consider buying liability only.
There are a few cases where dropping physical damage coverage is not a good plan. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you have to keep full coverage in order to prevent the bank from purchasing higher-priced coverage. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should keep full coverage on your policy.
Insurance discounts help lower rates for Chevy Colorado insurance in Columbus
Insurance is not an enjoyable expense, but discounts can save money and there are some available that can dramatically reduce your bill. Some discounts apply automatically at the time of purchase, but some may not be applied and must be requested specifically prior to getting the savings.
- Distant College Student Discount - Youth drivers who are enrolled in higher education away from home and won't have access to an insured vehicle could get you a discount.
- Safe Driver Discounts - Drivers who don't get into accidents could pay up to 40% less than drivers with accident claims.
- Military Deployment Discount - Having a deployed family member could qualify you for better rates.
- Defensive Driving Course - Participating in a course in defensive driver could save 5% or more and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags - Cars that have air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can receive discounts of 20 to 30 percent.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage - Requiring all passengers to use their safety belts can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) on medical payment and PIP coverage.
One thing to note about discounts is that most discount credits are not given to your bottom line cost. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. Even though it may seem like all those discounts means the company will pay you, it just doesn't work that way.
The chart below shows the comparison of Chevy Colorado car insurance costs with and without policy discounts. The data is based on a female driver, no violations or accidents, Ohio state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with marriage, multi-policy, claim-free, homeowner, safe-driver, and multi-car discounts applied.
Some companies that possibly offer these discounts may include but are not limited to:
When quoting, ask every company to apply every possible discount. Depending on the company, some discounts might not be available to policyholders everywhere. To locate companies with discount insurance rates in Columbus, click this link.
When should I discuss my situation with an agent?
Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing a policy, there is no best way to insure your cars. Your situation is unique and your policy should reflect that. For instance, these questions can aid in determining if your situation could use an agent's help.
- What vehicles should carry emergency assistance coverage?
- Will my insurance pay for OEM parts?
- What is motorclub and do I need it?
- How can I get the company to pay a claim?
- Can I rent a car in Mexico?
- Am I covered by my employer's commercial auto policy when driving my personal car for business?
- Are there any extra discounts I can get?
- What is an umbrella policy?
If it's difficult to answer those questions, you might consider talking to an agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area.