Unfortunately, nearly 70% of Ohio drivers renewed their policy with the same company for a minimum of four years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never compared rates from other carriers. Consumers in America can save hundreds of dollars each year just by comparing rates, but most undervalue how much they could save if they swap their current policy for a cheaper one.
It takes a few minutes, but the best way to get affordable Porsche Boxster insurance is to compare prices once a year from insurance carriers who sell auto insurance in Columbus. You can compare prices by following these steps.
- Step 1: Try to learn a little about how auto insurance works and the things you can change to lower rates. Many policy risk factors that result in higher rates like multiple speeding tickets and a less-than-favorable credit rating can be rectified by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes.
- Step 2: Compare rates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can provide rates from one company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agencies can provide prices for many different companies.
- Step 3: Compare the quotes to your existing policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you can save money and buy the policy, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
The key thing to remember is to try to compare identical coverages on each price quote and and to get prices from as many companies as you can. This helps ensure an accurate price comparison and a complete selection of prices.
Buying affordable protection in Columbus is not as difficult as people think. Essentially every driver who compares rates for insurance should be able to save money. But Ohio car owners do need to understand the way insurance companies sell online and take advantage of how the system works.
Find More Affordable Insurance with These Tips
It's important that you understand some of the factors that are used to determine the level of your policy premiums. If you have a feel for what impacts premium levels, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that can help you get lower rates. Multiple criteria are used in the calculation when you get your auto insurance bill. Some of the criteria are obvious such as your driving history, although others are less apparent like where you live and annual miles driven.
Responsible credit means lower premiums - Having a bad credit score factor in determining what you pay for insurance. Consumers who have good credit tend to be less risk to insure than drivers with lower ratings. If your credit score is lower than you'd like, you could be paying less to insure your Porsche Boxster if you clean up your credit.
Insurance policy lapses increase prices - Not maintaining insurance can get you a ticket and as a result your rates will increase for letting your insurance lapse for non-payment. And not only will your rates increase, being ticketed for driving with no insurance could earn you a revoked license or a big fine. You may need to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the Ohio motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
Do you need those add-on coverages? - There are a lot of extra coverages you can purchase on your insurance policy. Coverages for rental car coverage, death and dismemberment, and term life insurance are probably not needed. You may think they are a good idea when talking to your agent, but if you have no use for them think about removing them and cutting costs.
Males pay more for insurance - Statistics show that females take fewer risks when driving. Now that doesn't mean females are better at driving than males. Males and females tend to get into fender benders at about the same rate, but males cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. Men also tend to get higher numbers of serious violations like driving under the influence (DUI). Male drivers age 16 to 19 cause the most accidents and thus pay the highest rates.
The example below shows the difference between Porsche Boxster auto insurance costs for male and female drivers. The prices are based on a clean driving record, no claims, comp and collision included, $250 deductibles, marital status is single, and no policy discounts are applied.
Lower rates for married couples - Walking down the aisle actually saves money compared to being single. Marriage usually means you are more mature and responsible it has been statistically shown that married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
Reserve claims for larger damages - Auto insurance companies in Ohio provide the best rates to drivers who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. If you file claims often, you can pretty much guarantee increased rates or even have your policy non-renewed. Auto insurance is intended for more catastrophic claims.
Don't skimp on liability coverage - Liability coverage is the protection when you are determined to be liable for personal injury or accident damage. Your liability coverage provides legal defense up to the limits shown on your policy. Liability is cheap when compared with rates for comp and collision, so do not skimp.
Porsche Boxster statistical loss data - Car insurance companies include the past claim trends for vehicles when determining insurance costs. Vehicles that historically have higher number or severity of losses will have increased rates. The table shown below demonstrates the collected loss data for Porsche Boxster vehicles.
For each policy coverage type, the loss probability for all vehicles averaged together is a value of 100. Numbers under 100 are indicative of better than average losses, while numbers above 100 point to more claims or an increased probability of a larger loss.
|Specific Porsche Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Porsche Boxster Convertible||135||47||121||31|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Facts and figures for Porsche Boxster insurance
The coverage table displayed below outlines estimates of insurance premium costs for Porsche Boxster models. Learning as much as possible about how car insurance prices are calculated is important for you to make decisions on the best policy to buy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Boxster 2-Dr Convertible||$246||$478||$192||$12||$58||$986||$82|
|Boxster S 2-Dr Convertible||$270||$542||$192||$12||$58||$1,074||$90|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Above prices assume married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Ohio minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-policy, and safe-driver. Rates do not factor in specific location information which can decrease or increase insurance rates significantly.
You may qualify for discounts for Porsche Boxster insurance in Columbus
Insurance is neither fun to buy or cheap, but you may qualify for discounts to help bring down the price. A few discounts will automatically apply at quote time, but some must be asked for before being credited. If they aren't giving you every credit you deserve, you are throwing money away.
- Online Discount - A handful of insurance companies may give you up to $50 shop Columbus car insurance on their website.
- Telematics Data - Drivers who elect to allow data collection to look at driving habits by using a small device installed in their vehicle like Drivewise from Allstate or In-Drive from State Farm may get a rate reduction if their driving habits are good.
- Student Driver Training - It's a good idea to have your young drivers take driver's ed class if offered at their school.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers - Insureds who avoid accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than their less cautious counterparts.
- Membership in Organizations - Being in a qualifying organization could qualify you for a break on insurance.
- Student in College - College-age children living away from Columbus attending college and don't have a car can receive lower rates.
It's important to understand that many deductions do not apply to your bottom line cost. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. Even though it may seem like you could get a free insurance policy, it's just not the way it works.
The diagram below illustrates the difference between Porsche Boxster car insurance rates with and without discounts applied to the rates. The premiums assume a male driver, no accidents, no driving violations, Ohio state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with homeowner, multi-policy, claim-free, marriage, multi-car, and safe-driver discounts applied.
The best insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are shown below.
- The Hartford offers premium reductions for driver training, defensive driver, air bag, anti-theft, good student, bundle, and vehicle fuel type.
- American Family includes discounts for bundled insurance, air bags, accident-free, Steer into Savings, TimeAway discount, good driver, and early bird.
- Progressive may include discounts for continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, good student, homeowner, and online quote discount.
- Travelers discounts include multi-policy, home ownership, good student, new car, student away at school, hybrid/electric vehicle, and early quote.
- Farmers Insurance offers discounts for teen driver, good student, electronic funds transfer, multi-car, and pay in full.
- USAA offers discounts including loyalty savings, new vehicle, family discount, safe driver, driver training, and annual mileage.
- Liberty Mutual may offer discounts for preferred payment discount, safety features, multi-policy, new graduate, good student, and newly married.
When getting a coverage quote, ask each insurance company how you can save money. A few discounts may not apply in your area. If you would like to view providers that offer multiple discounts in Ohio, follow this link.
Persistent drivers can save
As you prepare to switch companies, never reduce coverage to reduce premium. In too many instances, an insured cut comprehensive coverage or liability limits and learned later that the savings was not a smart move. Your goal is to get the best coverage possible at an affordable rate, but do not skimp to save money.
We just covered many tips how you can lower your Porsche Boxster insurance premium rates in Columbus. It's most important to understand that the more providers you compare, the better likelihood of getting inexpensive Columbus car insurance quotes. Consumers could even find that the lowest premium rates come from a lesser-known regional company.
Insureds leave their current company for a variety of reasons including not issuing a premium refund, high prices, lack of trust in their agent or even unfair underwriting practices. Whatever your reason, finding a new company is easier than you think.
For more information, feel free to browse the resources below:
- Safe Vehicles for Teens (iihs.org)
- Who Has the Cheapest Columbus Auto Insurance for State Employees? (FAQ)
- Safety Features for Your New Car (State Farm)
- What is Gap Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)