Unbelievable but true according to a study most consumers in Ohio have been with the same company for at least the last four years, and about 40% of consumers have never compared rates with other companies. With the average premium in America being $1,847, drivers could pocket up to 47% a year, but they don’t invest the time required to shop their coverage around.
If you want to save money, the best way to get affordable auto insurance rates in Columbus is to compare prices at least once a year from providers who sell auto insurance in Ohio.
- Read and learn about what is in your policy and the factors you can control to keep rates low. Many policy risk factors that are responsible for high rates like at-fault accidents and your credit history can be amended by making lifestyle changes or driving safer. Continue reading for the details to help reduce prices and find missing discounts.
- Compare prices from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only provide price estimates from one company like Progressive or State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide price quotes for many different companies.
- Compare the new quotes to your existing coverage to determine if switching companies saves money. If you can save some money, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Tell your current agent or company of your decision to cancel your current auto insurance policy. Submit a down payment along with a signed application for your new policy. As soon as you have the new policy, keep the new certificate of insurance with your vehicle’s registration.
A valuable tip to remember is to use identical coverage information on every quote and and to get price estimates from every insurance company. Doing this helps ensure an accurate price comparison and many rates to choose from.
Insurance policy discounts for Lincoln Mark LT insurance in Columbus
Some insurers don’t always list all discounts in an easy-to-find place, so the list below gives a summary of both the well known and also the lesser-known credits that may apply to you. If you check and find you aren’t receiving every discount you deserve, you could be saving more on your insurance.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles – Buying a policy with several vehicles on one policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Passenger Safety Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags could see savings as much as 30%.
- Renewal Discounts – Some larger companies give discounts for signing up prior to your current Mark LT insurance policy expiration. This can save 10% or more.
- Mature Driver Discount – Mature drivers can possibly qualify for a discount up to 10%.
- One Accident Forgiven – This isn’t a discount exactly, but certain companies may permit one accident before your rates go up so long as you are claim-free before the accident.
- Columbus Homeowners Discount – Just owning your own home can get you a discount due to the fact that maintaining a home is proof of financial responsibility.
- E-sign Discounts – A few larger online companies may give you up to $50 for buying your policy digitally online.
- Bundle and Save – If you have multiple policies and insure them with the same company you could earn a discount of up to 20% off your total Mark LT insurance premium.
Consumers should know that most discounts do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce individual premiums such as medical payments or collision. So when it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, that’s just not realistic. But all discounts will cut your insurance premiums.
To choose providers with significant discounts in Columbus, click here.
It’s important to know that getting more free quotes will enable you to find the best price. Some companies don’t provide online Columbus Mark LT insurance quotes, so it’s important to also get prices from the smaller companies as well.
The companies shown below provide comparison quotes in Columbus, OH. If multiple providers are shown, it’s highly recommended you compare several of them to get the best price comparison.
When in doubt talk to an agent
Always keep in mind that when comparing the right insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is no “perfect” insurance plan. Your needs are unique to you and your policy should reflect that.
For example, these questions can aid in determining whether you might need professional guidance.
- Does my liability insurance cover pulling a trailer or camper?
- Do I need replacement cost coverage on my Lincoln Mark LT?
- Am I covered if my car is in a flood?
- Will I be non-renewed for getting a DUI or other conviction?
- Does my policy cover me if I wreck while driving under the influence?
- Is a driver training discount available?
- Is my Lincoln Mark LT covered for flood damage?
- Are my company tools covered if they get stolen?
- Should I sign the liability waiver when renting a car?
If you’re not sure about those questions but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area.
Local Columbus insurance agents
Many drivers just prefer to get advice from a local agent and we recommend doing that A good thing about comparing rates online is you may find the lowest rates and still choose a local agent. And providing support for local insurance agents is important especially in Columbus.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is immediately sent to local insurance agents that can provide free Columbus auto insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You won’t need to leave your computer since price quotes are sent to you. You can find lower rates and an insurance agent to talk to. If you wish to compare rates from a specific insurance provider, you would need to go to their quote page and complete a quote there.
Multiple types of auto insurance agents in Columbus
If you are wanting to find a local insurance agency, it can be helpful to understand the different types of agents and how they can write your policy. Agents in Columbus can be classified as either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
Independent Insurance Agencies or Brokers
Agents that elect to be independent often have many company appointments and that allows them to write policies with a variety of different insurance companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If premiums increase, they simply switch companies in-house and you won’t have to switch agencies. When comparison shopping, you need to include rate quotes from at least one independent agent in order to have the best price comparison.
Listed below is a partial list of independent insurance agents in Columbus who may be able to give you free rate quotes.
Nationwide Insurance: Sylvia A Garrett Insurance Agency Llc
1 W Nationwide Blvd – Columbus, OH 43215 – (614) 249-2141 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents of this type can only place business with one company like State Farm, Allstate, and Farm Bureau. These agents are unable to shop your coverage around so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive insurance agents are trained well on sales techniques which can be an advantage.
Shown below is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in Columbus who can help you get rate quotes.
Finding a good auto insurance agent is decision based upon more than just a cheap quote. Some important questions to ask are:
- Is the coverage adequate for your vehicle?
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
- How are they compensated?
- If your car is totaled, how to they determine the replacement cost?
- Can you contact them at any time?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
Car insurance 101
Having a good grasp of your policy aids in choosing appropriate coverage for your vehicles. The terms used in a policy can be confusing and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Listed below are typical coverages found on the average insurance policy.
Liability car insurance
This coverage provides protection from damage that occurs to other’s property or people that is your fault. This coverage protects you from claims by other people. It does not cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. Your policy might show liability limits of 25/50/25 that translate to $25,000 bodily injury coverage, a per accident bodily injury limit of $50,000, and $25,000 of coverage for damaged property. Alternatively, you may have one limit called combined single limit (CSL) which combines the three limits into one amount without having the split limit caps.
Liability coverage protects against claims like emergency aid, repair bills for other people’s vehicles and bail bonds. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is your choice, but buy as high a limit as you can afford. Ohio requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/25 but it’s recommended drivers buy more liability than the minimum.
The illustration below shows why buying low liability limits may not provide adequate coverage.
Insurance for medical payments
Med pay and PIP coverage pay for immediate expenses like pain medications, surgery, dental work and nursing services. They can be used in conjunction with a health insurance program or if you do not have health coverage. Coverage applies to both the driver and occupants and will also cover any family member struck as a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is not universally available and may carry a deductible
This coverage pays for damage to your Mark LT resulting from a collision with an object or car. You will need to pay your deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision can pay for things such as sustaining damage from a pot hole, crashing into a building, hitting a mailbox and sideswiping another vehicle. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider removing coverage from lower value vehicles. Drivers also have the option to choose a higher deductible on your Mark LT to get cheaper collision coverage.
Uninsured Motorist or Underinsured Motorist insurance
This protects you and your vehicle’s occupants from other motorists when they do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered losses include medical payments for you and your occupants as well as damage to your Lincoln Mark LT.
Since a lot of drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (which is 25/50/25), their limits can quickly be used up. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is a good idea. Normally these coverages do not exceed the liability coverage limits.
Comprehensive coverage (or Other than Collision)
This pays for damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first must pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers things like damage from a tornado or hurricane, vandalism, hail damage, theft and fire damage. The maximum payout you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Cheap coverage is out there
While you’re price shopping online, you should never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There have been many cases where consumers will sacrifice full coverage and learned later that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The ultimate goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage at a price you can afford while still protecting your assets.
Cheaper insurance in Columbus can be bought online as well as from independent agents in Columbus, and you should compare rates from both to get a complete price analysis. There are still a few companies who don’t offer internet price quotes and many times these regional carriers sell through local independent agents.
For more information, take a look at the resources below:
- Higher speed limits cause more fatalities (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has Cheap Columbus Auto Insurance Rates After a Speeding Ticket? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Columbus Car Insurance for a GMC Acadia? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Columbus Auto Insurance for Drivers with Accidents? (FAQ)
- Preventing Carjacking and Theft (Insurance Information Institute)
- How to Avoid Common Accidents (State Farm)