Unbelievable but true, over 70% of consumers kept buying from the same company for at least four years, and nearly the majority have never shopped around. Consumers in Columbus can save hundreds of dollars each year by just shopping around, but they don’t believe how much savings they would realize if they replace their high priced policy.
Truthfully, the best way to get the cheapest auto insurance rates is to compare prices annually from insurers who provide car insurance in Columbus.
- Step 1: Get a basic knowledge of how companies set rates and the factors you can control to keep rates in check. Many factors that result in higher rates such as at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and a bad credit score can be eliminated by paying attention to minor details.
- Step 2: Compare prices from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only provide price estimates from a single company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agents can quote rates for many different companies.
- Step 3: Compare the quotes to your existing coverage to see if a cheaper rate is available. If you find a lower rate, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
- Step 4: Provide notification to your current agent or company of your decision to cancel your existing policy. Submit any necessary down payment along with the completed application for the new policy. Once coverage is bound, keep your new certificate verifying coverage somewhere easily accessible.
The key thing to know about shopping around is that you’ll want to make sure you compare the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on each price quote and and to get price quotes from as many companies as you can. This guarantees an apples-to-apples comparison and the best price selection.
Get cheaper rates on Mazda 2 insurance in Columbus with these insurance discounts
Car insurance can cost a lot, but companies offer discounts to help bring down the price. Certain credits will be shown when you purchase, but a few must be asked about in order for you to get them.
- Sign Online – A few insurance companies give back up to $50 get Columbus auto insurance on your computer.
- Telematics Data – Columbus drivers who agree to allow their insurance company to study driving patterns remotely such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate’s Drivewise system may get a rate reduction as long as they are good drivers.
- Good Grades Discount – Excelling in school can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. You can use this discount normally until age 25.
- ABS Braking Discount – Cars and trucks that have anti-lock braking systems have fewer accidents so you can save 10 percent or more.
- Early Signing – Some companies reward drivers for switching to them prior to your current 2 insurance policy expiring. This can save 10% or more.
- Seat Belt Discounts – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to use their safety belts could save 15% on medical payment and PIP coverage.
As a sidenote, most discounts do not apply to the entire cost. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. So when the math indicates you can get free auto insurance, you aren’t that lucky.
Some companies that may have some of the discounts shown above include:
When getting a coverage quote, ask each insurance company which discounts you qualify for. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not be offered in your state.
Lowering your car insurance rates doesn’t have to be difficult. All you need to do is spend a few minutes on the computer to get quotes to see which company has inexpensive Columbus auto insurance quotes.
The companies shown below provide comparison quotes in Ohio. If multiple companies are shown, we recommend you get rate quotes from several of them to find the lowest auto insurance rates.
Mazda 2 Insurance Rate Factors
Many different elements are taken into consideration when you quote your car insurance policy. Some of the criteria are obvious such as traffic violations, but other criteria are less apparent like your vehicle usage or your vehicle rating.
Shown below are some of the items that factor into your prices.
Lower rates come with age – More experienced drivers have been proven to be more responsible, cost insurance companies less in claims, and are generally more financially stable. Teen drivers are proven to be inattentive when at the wheel of a vehicle and because of this, their car insurance rates are much higher.
Bundle policies and save – Most major companies allow better rates to insureds that have more than one policy, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can be five, ten or even twenty percent. If you currently are using one company, it’s still a good idea to compare other Columbus 2 insurance rates to make sure you are getting the best deal. You may still be able to find a better deal even if you insure with multiple companies
Five star NHTSA crash test rating saves money – Vehicles with high crash test scores tend to have better insurance rates. Safer cars reduce occupant injuries and lower injury rates translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and thus lower rates. If the Mazda 2 has ratings of a minimum an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website you are probably receiving a discount.
Prices impacted by your city – Residing in smaller towns and rural areas of the country is a good thing when insuring your vehicles. Lower population translates into fewer accidents and lower theft and vandalism rates. Drivers in populated Ohio areas have more road rage incidents and higher rates of accident claims. More time on the road statistically corresponds to a higher accident and claim rate.
More stress means more cost – Did you know your car insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Occupational choices like real estate brokers, executives, and stock brokers tend to pay higher premiums than the average policyholder attributed to intense work-related stress and incredibly demanding work hours. Other occupations like professors, engineers and performers generally pay rates lower than average.
Low comp and collision deductibles mean high prices – Physical damage insurance, aka comp and collision, is used to repair damage to your Mazda. A few examples of covered claims would be a broken windshield, hitting a deer, and damage caused by flying debris. The deductibles tell how much you are willing to pay in the event of a claim. The higher the amount you choose to pay out-of-pocket, the less your car insurance will be.
When should I talk to an agent?
A small number of people would rather visit with an insurance agent and that is just fine! Experienced insurance agents are very good at helping people manage risk and give you someone to call. One of the best bonuses of comparing insurance prices online is that drivers can save money and get lower premium rates but also keep your business local.
After completing this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is transmitted to local insurance agents in Columbus that can provide free Columbus auto insurance quotes for your car insurance coverage. There is no need to leave your house as quotes are delivered to you directly. If you wish to get a price quote from one company in particular, you just need to go to their quote page and fill out their quote form.
Choosing an company requires more thought than just a low price. Any agent in Columbus should be willing to answer these questions.
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- How many years of experience in personal auto insurance do they have?
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
- Does their agency support local causes in Columbus?
- How often do they review coverages?
If you prefer to buy car insurance from a local Columbus insurance agent, you need to know there are two different types of agencies that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agencies in Columbus are categorized either independent or exclusive. Both can sell affordable car insurance policies, but it is a good idea to know the differences because it can factor into buying decisions.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
Exclusive agents write business for a single company such as Allstate and State Farm. Exclusive agents are unable to shop your coverage around so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive insurance agents are well schooled on sales techniques which can be an advantage. Some people will only choose to use a exclusive agent primarily because of the brand legacy rather than having low rates.
Below are Columbus exclusive insurance agencies who can help you get price quotes.
- Jonathan Yu – State Farm Insurance Agent
1930 Crown Park Ct #140 – Columbus, OH 43235 – (614) 885-9507 – View Map
- Jack Gilkerson – State Farm Insurance Agent
4232 E Main St – Whitehall, OH 43213 – (614) 237-4256 – View Map
- Bruce Rothermund – State Farm Insurance Agent
50 Northwoods Blvd – Columbus, OH 43235 – (614) 888-5830 – View Map
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents of this type can sell policies from many different companies and that enables them to quote your coverage through many companies and get you the best rates possible. If your agent finds better pricing, an independent agent can move your coverage and you don’t have to do anything. When comparing rate quotes, you definitely need to include rate quotes from multiple independent agents to have the best price comparison. They also have the ability to place coverage with additional companies that you may not be familiar with that may provide cheaper car insurance rates.
Listed below is a short list of independent agents in Columbus that can give you comparison quotes.
- Tri-Wood Insurance
1000 Georgesville Rd – Columbus, OH 43228 – (614) 276-7821 – View Map
- John Dawson Associates
6025 Cleveland Ave – Columbus, OH 43231 – (614) 890-1660 – View Map
- IHT Insurance Agency Group LLC
655 Metro Pl S Suite 330 – Dublin, OH 43017 – (614) 761-2825 – View Map
Once you have good responses as well as offering an affordable quote, it’s a good possibility that you have found an insurance agency that can be trusted to service your policy. But remember, once you purchase a policy you can cancel a policy whenever you choose to so don’t feel you’re contractually obligated to a policy with no way out.
Why auto insurance is not optional
Even though it can be expensive, maintaining insurance may be required for several reasons.
- Most states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means state laws require a minimum amount of liability in order to be legal. In Ohio these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your Mazda 2, most lenders will stipulate that you carry insurance to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the bank will be required to insure your Mazda for a lot more money and force you to reimburse them a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance safeguards your Mazda and your assets. It will also reimburse you for all forms of medical expenses that are the result of an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you are sued as the result of your driving. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of having insurance definitely exceed the price paid, especially when you need to use it. An average driver in America is overpaying more than $850 per year so shop around once a year at a minimum to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Compare but don’t skimp
Insureds switch companies for any number of reasons including policy non-renewal, lack of trust in their agent, denial of a claim and even high prices. No matter why you want to switch, finding the right car insurance provider is easier than you think.
We just covered a lot of information how to lower your Mazda 2 insurance premium rates in Columbus. The most important thing to understand is the more companies you get prices for, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Consumers may even find the lowest premium rates come from the least-expected company.
Some insurance companies may not offer price quotes online and most of the time these small insurance companies only sell coverage through independent insurance agents. More affordable car insurance in Columbus is attainable both online in addition to many Columbus insurance agents, and you need to price shop both to get a complete price analysis.
Additional information is available at the links below
- Safety Belts FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for Used Cars in Columbus? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a Jeep Grand Cherokee in Columbus? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for Seniors in Columbus? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Columbus Auto Insurance Rates for Immigrants? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers Requiring a SR22 in Columbus? (FAQ)
- Prepare your Teens for Safe Driving (InsureUonline.org)
- Understanding Car Crashes Video (iihs.org)
- New Honda safety features benefit drivers of all ages (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Frontal Crash Tests (iihs.org)