Regrettably, nearly 70% of consumers have been with the same company for at least four years, and just short of a majority have never even compared quotes to find affordable rates. Most drivers in Columbus can save hundreds of dollars each year by just comparing quotes, but they don't know the actual amount they would save if they swap their current policy for a cheaper one.
If saving the most money is your goal, then the best way to get low-cost car insurance rates is to compare prices once a year from insurance carriers that sell auto insurance in Columbus.
First, take a few minutes and learn about the coverage provided by your policy and the changes you can make to keep rates down. Many policy risk factors that result in higher prices like traffic violations, accidents, and an unacceptable credit rating can be rectified by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. Keep reading for additional ideas to help prevent high rates and earn a bigger discount.
Second, request price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only quote rates from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agencies can provide rate quotes from multiple sources.
Third, compare the quotes to your existing rates and determine if cheaper MPV coverage is available. If you can save some money and make a switch, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
The key thing to know about shopping around is to use identical coverage information on each quote and and to get rates from every insurance company. This ensures the most accurate price comparison and a complete selection of prices.
Compare Columbus Mazda MPV insurance quotes online
Cutting your Columbus car insurance rates isn't really that difficult. All you need to do is spend a few minutes on the computer getting comparison quotes provided by online insurance companies.
The companies shown below are ready to provide price comparisons in Columbus, OH. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you visit several of them in order to find the cheapest rates.
Affordable rates by earning discounts
Car insurance is not inexpensive, but there may be some discounts that could help you make your next renewal payment. A few discounts will be applied at the time of quoting, but some may not be applied and must be manually applied before being credited.
- Payment Discounts - If you pay your bill all at once instead of paying each month you could save 5% or more.
- Government Employees - Federal government employees could cut as much as 10% off with some car insurance companies.
- College Student - Children who are enrolled in higher education away from home and don't have a car could get you a discount.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles - Buying a policy with several vehicles with one company can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Discount for Life Insurance - Select insurance companies reward you with a small discount if you purchase some life insurance in addition to your auto policy.
- Safety Restraint Discount - Forcing all vehicle occupants to wear their seat belts could cut 10% or more on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Claim-Free Discount - Columbus drivers who stay claim-free can save substantially when compared to drivers with a long claim history.
- Telematics Devices - Drivers who elect to allow their car insurance company to analyze when and where they use their vehicle through the use of a telematics system like Allstate's Drivewise may get a rate reduction if they are good drivers.
- No Charge for an Accident - This one is not really a discount per se, but some insurance companies will allow you to have one accident before raising your premiums with the catch being you have to be claim-free before the accident.
- Senior Citizens - Seniors can possibly qualify for a slight reduction on a Columbus auto insurance quote.
It's important to note that some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. So when the math indicates having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, nobody gets a free ride.
Large car insurance companies and their possible discounts can be found below.
- AAA discounts include anti-theft, multi-policy, AAA membership discount, good student, pay-in-full, multi-car, and education and occupation.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including homeowner, good student, online signing, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle.
- State Farm may have discounts that include passive restraint, anti-theft, accident-free, Drive Safe & Save, and driver's education.
- Esurance may include discounts for defensive driver, online quote, multi-policy, multi-car, good student, emergency road assistance, and Switch & Save.
- Nationwide has discounts for multi-policy, accident-free, business or organization, anti-theft, family plan, defensive driving, and easy pay.
Before buying, ask every insurance company which discounts they offer. Savings may not apply in every state.
When to have guidance from an agent
Some consumers prefer to talk to a local agent and that can be a great decision Experienced insurance agents can help you build your policy and help you file claims. The biggest benefit of comparing rates online is the fact that you can find the best rates and still choose a local agent.
Upon completion of this short form, the quote information gets sent to insurance agents in Columbus that provide free Columbus auto insurance quotes to get your business. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won't have to find an agent because quoted prices will be sent instantly to you. If you want to compare prices for a specific company, don't hesitate to search and find their rate quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Deciding on a company is decision based upon more than just a cheap price quote. Any agent in Columbus should be willing to answer these questions.
- Is coverage determined by price?
- Do they have 24-hour customer assistance?
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- How many years of experience in personal auto insurance do they have?
- Will you work with the agent or an assistant?
- Is auto insurance their primary focus in Columbus?
- Does the agency have a current Errors and Omissions policy?
What is the best auto insurance coverage?
When buying proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there is no one size fits all plan. Your financial needs are unique.
For instance, these questions can aid in determining if your insurance needs will benefit from professional help.
- Are my friends covered when driving my car?
- What is the ISO rating for a Mazda MPV?
- What are the financial responsibility laws in my state?
- Am I covered if I back into my garage door?
- Does insurance cover damages from a DUI accident?
- Does my policy cover me when driving someone else's vehicle?
- When can my company non-renew my policy?
- Do I need an umbrella policy?
- Can my teen driver be rated on a liability-only vehicle?
- Are there companies who specialize in insuring high-risk drivers?
If you're not sure about those questions but one or more may apply to you, you may need to chat with an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form. It's fast, free and may give you better protection.
Smart Consumers Save More
Part of the car insurance buying process is learning some of the factors that are used to determine your premiums. If you know what determines base rates, this allows you to make good choices that may result in lower car insurance prices. Lots of things are part of the calculation when you quote your car insurance policy. Some of the criteria are obvious like your driving record, but other factors are less apparent like where you live or how financially stable you are.
The items below are some of the major factors companies use to determine premiums.
With age comes responsibility - Beginning drivers in Ohio tend to be less responsible with other occupants in the car so car insurance rates are higher. More mature drivers are more cautious drivers, tend to cause fewer accidents, and get fewer tickets.
Higher comp and collision deductibles cost less - Deductibles for physical damage represent how much money you are willing to pay out-of-pocket before a claim is paid by your company. Physical damage insurance, also known as collision and other-than-collision, is used to repair damage to your car. Some instances where coverage would apply would be collision with another vehicle, hail damage, and damage caused by road hazards. The higher the amount you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the better rate you will receive.
Never let your car insurance policy lapse - Driving your car without having proper coverage is illegal and any future policy may cost more because you let your coverage lapse. Not only will you pay higher rates, the inability to provide proof of insurance may earn you a steep fine or even jail time. Then you may be required to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the Ohio motor vehicle department.
Lower rates with a multi-policy discount - Many insurers provide lower prices to insureds that have more than one policy, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can add up to 10 percent or more. Even though this discount sounds good, you still need to comparison shop to make sure you are getting the best deal.There is a chance you can find a better deal by buying car insurance from a different company.
Auto insurance does more than just protect your car
Even though it can be expensive, insurance is not optional due to several reasons.
- Almost all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means the state requires specific minimum amounts of liability if you want to drive legally. In Ohio these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Mazda MPV with a loan, almost every bank will require that you have insurance to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank will be required to insure your Mazda at a significantly higher premium and force you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance safeguards not only your vehicle but also your assets. It will also provide coverage for hospital and medical expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, will also pay for a defense attorney if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance definitely exceed the price paid, particularly if you ever have a claim. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver is overpaying over $855 a year so shop around at every renewal to help ensure money is not being wasted.
How much can you save?
When getting Columbus auto insurance quotes online, it's very important that you do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are a lot of situations where drivers have reduced physical damage coverage and found out when filing a claim that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The goal is to buy enough coverage at the best price, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
Consumers who switch companies do it for many reasons like policy non-renewal, unfair underwriting practices, an unsatisfactory settlement offer or delays in paying claims. It doesn't matter what your reason, switching companies is not as hard as you think.
Low-cost Mazda MPV insurance in Columbus can be sourced both online as well as from independent agents in Columbus, so you should be comparing quotes from both to get a complete price analysis. Some companies may not offer online rate quotes and usually these small insurance companies only sell coverage through independent insurance agents.
- Learn About Car Insurance (GEICO)
- Who Has the Cheapest Columbus Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers with Bad Credit? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Columbus Auto Insurance Quotes for 17 Year Olds? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for Electric Cars in Columbus? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for Drivers Over Age 50 in Columbus? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes with Multiple Speeding Tickets in Columbus? (FAQ)
- How Can I Save Money on Auto Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Property Damage Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- How to Avoid Buying a Flooded Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- Auto Insurance Facts and Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)