It takes a few minutes, but the best way to get budget auto insurance rates is to compare prices once a year from providers in Columbus.
Step 1: Read and learn about how your policy works and the factors you can control to keep rates down. Many factors that cause high rates such as multiple speeding tickets and a poor credit score can be controlled by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
Step 2: Obtain price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can give quotes from one company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can quote rates for a wide range of insurance providers.
Step 3: Compare the price quotes to your current policy premium to see if a cheaper price is available. If you find a lower rate quote and decide to switch, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
A tip to remember is that you'll want to compare identical coverages on each price quote and to quote with as many car insurance companies as possible. This provides an accurate price comparison and a thorough selection of prices.
Unthinkable but true, the majority of drivers kept their policy with the same company for over three years, and about 40% of consumers have never even shopped around for cheaper coverage. Columbus drivers could save an average of $729 each year just by shopping around, but they just assume it's a time-consuming process to compare rates.
Most companies allow you to get prices for coverage direct online. Getting online rates for Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG insurance in Columbus is quite easy as you just type in your required coverages as detailed in the form. After you submit the form their rating system will obtain information on your driving record and credit history and quotes a price based on the data you entered.
Getting online price quotes for Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG insurance in Columbus makes it simple to compare prices and it is important to compare as many rates as possible if you are searching for the lowest payment.
To quickly compare rates using this form now, visit the companies below or click here to submit a quote request to multiple companies at once. If you have a policy now, it's recommended you enter deductibles and limits as shown on your current policy. Using the same limits helps guarantee you will have rate quotes for similar coverage.
The providers in the list below provide comparison quotes in Columbus, OH. If more than one company is shown, we suggest you get rates from several of them to get the lowest price.
Why you need to buy insurance
Despite the high cost, insurance is required for several reasons.
First, most states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific limits of liability in order to be legal. In Ohio these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you took out a loan on your vehicle, almost every bank will require you to carry insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the bank will be required to insure your Mercedes-Benz for a much higher rate and force you to pay the higher premium.
Third, insurance protects both your car and your assets. It will also pay for all forms of medical expenses for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also covers legal expenses if you cause an accident and are sued. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, your insurance policy will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of insuring your car more than cancel out the cost, particularly for liability claims. On average, a vehicle owner in Columbus is overpaying more than $865 each year so it's recommended you shop around at least once a year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Insurance rates and discounts
Companies offering auto insurance don't always list the entire discount list very clearly, so the list below contains both well-publicized as well as some of the hidden credits that you can use to lower your rates.
- Claim Free - Insureds with no claims or accidents are rewarded with significantly better rates on Columbus car insurance quote when compared to bad drivers.
- Columbus Homeowners Discount - Owning a house in Columbus can get you a discount because owning a home demonstrates responsibility.
- New Vehicle Savings - Putting insurance coverage on a new SLS AMG can save you some money because new model year vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Waiver for an Accident - This one isn't a discount, but some companies like GEICO and Liberty Mutual will allow you to have one accident before hitting you with a surcharge if your claims history is clear for a set time period.
- Good Students Pay Less - This discount may save as much as 25% on a Columbus car insurance quote. Many companies even apply the discount to college students up until you turn 25.
- Multiple Vehicles - Buying coverage for multiple vehicles with the same company can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Low Mileage Discounts - Driving fewer miles could be rewarded with discounted premium rates on garaged vehicles.
- Service Members Pay Less - Having a deployed family member could mean lower prices.
- Multiple Policy Discount - When you have multiple policies with the same company you may earn up to 20% off your total SLS AMG insurance premium.
One thing to note about discounts is that many deductions do not apply to the whole policy. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. So even though they make it sound like you can get free auto insurance, that's just not realistic.
A few of the larger companies and their offered discounts are detailed below.
- Farmers Insurance may have discounts that include electronic funds transfer, distant student, alternative fuel, teen driver, and youthful driver.
- State Farm offers discounts including good driver, accident-free, safe vehicle, defensive driving training, student away at school, and driver's education.
- Liberty Mutual offers premium reductions for multi-policy, safety features, newly married, new vehicle discount, hybrid vehicle, new move discount, and good student.
- MetLife may offer discounts for claim-free, defensive driver, good driver, multi-policy, good student, accident-free
- Progressive has savings for multi-policy, online signing, online quote discount, homeowner, continuous coverage, and good student.
Before purchasing a policy, check with every insurance company which discounts they offer. Some credits may not apply to policies in Columbus. To view insurance companies that can offer you the previously mentioned discounts in Ohio, click this link.
Auto insurance can be complex
When buying coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is not a "best" method to buy coverage. Everyone's situation is a little different.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight if your insurance needs might need professional guidance.
- How much liability coverage do I need in Ohio?
- Who is covered when they drive my Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG?
- Am I covered by my employer's commercial auto policy when driving my personal car for business?
- Why is insurance for a teen driver so high in Columbus?
- Who does medical payments coverage extend to?
- How much coverage applies to personal belongings?
- Am I covered while delivering pizza?
- Should I get collision insurance on every vehicle?
- What if I owe more than I can insure my car for?
- What is an adequate liability insurance limit?
If you're not sure about those questions but one or more may apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you don't have a local agent, take a second and complete this form. It's fast, doesn't cost anything and may give you better protection.
Auto insurance is available from agents near you
A small number of people would prefer to get advice from a local agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Agents can help you choose the best coverages and help you file claims. The biggest benefit of getting free rate quotes online is that drivers can save money and get lower premium rates but still work with a licensed agent.
Once you complete this simple form, your insurance coverage information is submitted to agents in your area that provide free Columbus car insurance quotes for your business. You won't need to even leave your home because quoted prices will be sent directly to you. If you wish to get a price quote for a specific company, don't hesitate to find their quoting web page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Picking the best company shouldn't rely on just a cheap price. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Is the agent properly licensed in Ohio?
- How long has their agency been open in Columbus?
- Are aftermarket or OEM parts used to repair vehicles?
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
- When do they do policy reviews?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
- Are there any extra charges for paying monthly?
- Will the company cover a rental car if your car is getting fixed?
If you are wanting to find a reliable insurance agent, you need to know there are two types of insurance agents and how they are distinctly different. Agencies in Columbus are classified as either exclusive or independent. Both can sell affordable auto insurance policies, but it is a good idea to know how they are different because it may have an impact on your agent selection.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agents
Agents of this type write business for a single company and some examples include Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. Exclusive agents cannot provide prices from multiple companies so you might not find the best rates. Exclusive agencies receive a lot of sales training on their products and sales techniques which aids in selling service over price. Some consumers prefer to purchase coverage from exclusives mostly because of loyalty to the company and strong financial ratings.
Below are exclusive insurance agents in Columbus that can give you price quote information.
- Jerry Doherty - State Farm Insurance Agent
21 W Broad St #100 - Columbus, OH 43215 - (614) 461-7833 - View Map
- Jonathan Yu - State Farm Insurance Agent
1930 Crown Park Ct #140 - Columbus, OH 43235 - (614) 885-9507 - View Map
- American Family Insurance - Yelena Uchiteleva Agency LLC
233 S Hamilton Rd - Columbus, OH 43213 - (614) 235-1702 - View Map
Independent Auto Insurance Agents
Independent agencies are not employed by one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies through many different auto insurance companies and potentially find a lower price. If you are not satisfied with one company, the agent simply finds a different carrier which makes it simple for you. When comparing rate quotes, it's recommended you get some free quotes from at least one independent agent to maximize your price options. Many independent agencies also insure through smaller regional carriers that may have much lower rates than larger companies.
Shown below are independent insurance agencies in Columbus that are able to give price quotes.
- Nationwide Insurance - Nick Miller and Assoc Ins Agency Inc
6834 Caine Rd - Columbus, OH 43235 - (614) 889-0701 - View Map
- Wolfe Insurance Group
630 E Broad St - Columbus, OH 43215 - (614) 418-5710 - View Map
- All Ohio Insurance Agency Inc
180 Northwoods Blvd - Columbus, OH 43235 - (614) 825-0770 - View Map
What insurance coverages do you need?
Learning about specific coverages of your policy helps when choosing the right coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. Insurance terms can be difficult to understand and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
Insurance for medical payments
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP reimburse you for immediate expenses for things like pain medications, EMT expenses, ambulance fees, nursing services and hospital visits. They are often used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. Medical payments and PIP cover all vehicle occupants and will also cover getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP coverage is only offered in select states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Uninsured Motorist or Underinsured Motorist insurance
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle when other motorists either have no liability insurance or not enough. This coverage pays for injuries sustained by your vehicle's occupants as well as your vehicle's damage.
Since many Ohio drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (25/50/25), their limits can quickly be used up. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is a good idea.
Comprehensive coverage (or Other than Collision)
This coverage covers damage that is not covered by collision coverage. A deductible will apply then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims such as theft, hitting a bird, hail damage, a broken windshield and damage from getting keyed. The most you'll receive from a claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if it's not worth much more than your deductible consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Collision insurance covers damage to your SLS AMG from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. A deductible applies then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision can pay for things such as rolling your car, crashing into a ditch, hitting a parking meter and backing into a parked car. This coverage can be expensive, so consider removing coverage from lower value vehicles. Drivers also have the option to raise the deductible on your SLS AMG in order to get cheaper collision rates.
This coverage provides protection from damage that occurs to people or other property. Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. Your policy might show liability limits of 25/50/25 which means a $25,000 limit per person for injuries, a limit of $50,000 in injury protection per accident, and a total limit of $25,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability coverage protects against things like repair costs for stationary objects, legal defense fees and court costs. How much liability should you purchase? That is your choice, but you should buy as high a limit as you can afford. Ohio requires drivers to carry at least 25/50/25 but it's recommended drivers buy more coverage.
The next chart shows why low liability limits may not be adequate.
Get the best coverage at the lowest price
Budget-friendly auto insurance in Columbus is attainable from both online companies in addition to local insurance agencies, and you should compare rates from both to have the best selection. There are still a few companies who do not provide the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these regional carriers prefer to sell through local independent agencies.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, it's very important that you do not buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There have been many cases where consumers will sacrifice liability limits or collision coverage only to find out that it was a big error on their part. Your aim should be to purchase plenty of coverage at a price you can afford, but don't skip important coverages to save money.
Throughout this article, we presented some good ideas how to shop for Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG insurance online. The key concept to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the higher your chance of finding affordable Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG insurance quotes. Consumers may even find the lowest prices are with a company that doesn't do a lot of advertising.
To learn more, feel free to visit the resources below:
- Teen Driving and Texting (State Farm)
- Who Has the Cheapest Columbus Auto Insurance for State Employees? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Columbus Auto Insurance Rates After a Speeding Ticket? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for Police Officers in Columbus? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers with Good Credit in Columbus? (FAQ)
- Vehicle Insurance in the U.S. (Wikipedia)
- Teen Driving Statistics (iihs.org)