The recommended way to find affordable car insurance rates in Columbus is to compare prices once a year from providers who sell auto insurance in Ohio. You can shop around by following these guidelines.
- Take a few minutes and learn about how companies set rates and the modifications you can make to lower rates. Many rating criteria that cause high rates such as careless driving and an imperfect credit rating can be rectified by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes. Read the full article for ideas to help reduce prices and find additional discounts.
- Compare rates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct and exclusive agents can give quotes from one company like GEICO or Allstate, while independent agencies can provide prices from many different companies. Compare rates now
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing coverage and see if you can save money. If you find a lower rate and decide to switch, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
A crucial key to this process is to try to compare the same coverage limits and deductibles on every quote and and to get price estimates from as many companies as possible. This guarantees an accurate price comparison and and a good selection of different prices.
It’s safe to conclude that insurance companies want to keep your business as long as possible. Consumers who shop around for better prices are likely to switch to a new company because they stand a good chance of finding a policy with more affordable rates. A recent survey discovered that consumers who routinely compared quotes saved approximately $70 a month compared to those who never shopped around for better prices.
If finding the cheapest rates on car insurance in Columbus is your intention, then having some insight into how to get free comparison quotes and analyze insurance can make the process less intimidating.
Where can I get the cheapest Columbus Mitsubishi i-MiEV insurance?
Keep in mind that comparing more rates from different companies provides better odds of finding the best offered rates.
The companies shown below are ready to provide quotes in Ohio. If the list has multiple companies, we recommend you click on several of them to find the cheapest auto insurance rates.
Auto insurance quotes and discounts
Car insurance companies don’t always publicize the complete list of policy discounts in an easy-to-find place, so the next list breaks down both well-publicized in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits available to bring down your rates.
- Defensive Driver Discounts – Successfully completing a defensive driving course can save you 5% or more and make you a better driver.
- Safety Restraint Discount – Forcing all vehicle occupants to fasten their seat belts can save up to 15% on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Low Mileage – Maintaining low annual mileage can qualify you for discounted prices on garaged vehicles.
- Discounts for Government Workers – Active or retired federal employment may qualify for a discount when you quote Columbus auto insurance with a few auto insurance companies.
- Military Deployment Discount – Having a deployed family member may lower your prices slightly.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Cars, trucks, and SUVs equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems help deter theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
Keep in mind that most credits do not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only reduce individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. Just because you may think you can get free auto insurance, auto insurance companies aren’t that generous.
Car insurance companies that may have some of the discounts shown above may include but are not limited to:
Before buying, ask every prospective company to apply every possible discount. Savings may not apply to policyholders in your area. For a list of companies with significant discounts in Columbus, click here.
Get Lower-cost Insurance Prices by Understanding These Factors
Many factors are part of the calculation when you get your auto insurance bill. Some are pretty understandable such as your driving history, although some other factors are not as apparent such as whether you are married and annual miles driven. The best way to find cheaper car insurance is to take a look at a few of the rating criteria that come into play when calculating your car insurance rates. If you have a feel for what influences your rates, this helps enable you to make changes that will entitle you to big savings.
The itemized list below are just a few of the factors used by insurance companies to determine your premiums.
- More traffic means higher claims – Choosing to live in smaller towns and rural areas of the country may provide you with better prices if you are looking for the lowest rates. Less people translates into fewer accident claims in addition to fewer liability claims. Urban drivers have to deal with more aggressive driving styles and more severe claims. More time commuting means more chances of being involved in an auto accident.
- Premiums are impacted by vehicle performance – The make and model of the car you need insurance for makes a substantial difference in determining your rates. The best insurance prices will generally be found on small economy passenger models, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
- Maintain car insurance coverage – Driving with no insurance is not a good idea and companies may charge more for letting your insurance lapse. Not only will you pay higher rates, getting caught without coverage might get you a revoked license or a big fine. You will then be forced to file a SR-22 with the Ohio motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
- Do women or men drive better? – Over the last 50 years, statistics have shown that women are safer drivers than men. The data does not necessarily mean that men are WORSE drivers than women. They both have auto accidents at a similar rate, but the male of the species cause more damage. They also have more aggressive citations such as DWI and reckless driving. Male drivers age 16 to 19 are several times more likely to be in an accident and therefore are the most expensive to insure.
- Premiums are lower the older you get – Older people are shown to be more cautious, tend to file fewer claims, and tend to be get fewer driving tickets. Inexperience drivers are proven to be easily distracted behind the wheel and because of this, their car insurance rates are much higher.
- More policies can equal more savings – Many insurance companies will award discounts to insureds who have multiple policies with them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can be five, ten or even twenty percent. If you currently are using one company, consumers should still compare other Columbus i-MiEV insurance rates to make sure you are getting the best deal. Consumers may save even more by buying car insurance from a different company.
- Better car insurance rates for being claim-free – If you file a lot of claims you can pretty much guarantee increased rates or even have your policy non-renewed. Auto insurance companies in Ohio provide lower rates to people who file claims infrequently. Your car insurance is designed for the large, substantial claims.
- Marriage is a good thing – Having a wife or husband can actually save you money on your car insurance bill. It usually means you are more mature and insurance companies reward insureds because drivers who are married file infrequent claims.