It's shocking but most consumers in Ohio kept their policy with the same company for at least four years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never compared rates from other carriers. With the average auto insurance premium being $1,847, American drivers can save hundreds of dollars each year by just comparing quotes, but they just feel it's too hard to compare rates.
It takes a few minutes, but the best way to get budget auto insurance rates is to regularly compare quotes from different companies who provide auto insurance in Columbus.
Step 1: Spend a few minutes and learn about auto insurance and the measures you can control to prevent rate increases. Many rating factors that cause rate increases like at-fault accidents, careless driving, and a bad credit score can be eliminated by making minor changes to your lifestyle. Keep reading for more ideas to get cheaper coverage and find overlooked discounts.
Step 2: Get rate quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give prices from a single company like GEICO or Allstate, while independent agents can provide prices for many different companies.
Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your current policy and determine if there is any savings. If you can save money and change companies, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
An important bit of advice to remember is to use the same liability limits and deductibles on each quote request and and to get quotes from every insurance company. This guarantees an apples-to-apples comparison and the best rate selection.
How to buy Nissan Titan XD insurance online
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide price quotes in Columbus, OH. If more than one company is shown, we recommend you visit several of them to get the most affordable price.
Here's why auto insurance is not optional
Despite the high insurance cost for a Nissan Titan XD in Columbus, paying for auto insurance is not optional due to several reasons.
- The majority of states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability protection if you don't want to risk a ticket. In Ohio these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Titan XD has a loan, it's guaranteed your bank will have a requirement that you have comprehensive coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If you do not keep the policy in force, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Nissan at a more expensive rate and force you to reimburse them the higher price.
- Insurance safeguards your Nissan Titan XD and your assets. Insurance will also pay for many types of medical costs that are the result of an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, will also pay attorney fees in the event you are sued. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of insuring your car are definitely more than the cost, especially for larger claims. The average driver in Ohio is wasting up to $700 annually so you should quote rates once a year at a minimum to ensure rates are competitive.
Cheaper rates by earning discounts
Auto insurance is expensive, but you may find discounts that can help lower your rates. Some of these discounts will be visible at quote time, but lesser-known reductions have to be asked for prior to receiving the credit. If you are not receiving all the discounts you qualify for, you are paying more than you should be.
- No Claims - Drivers with accident-free driving histories pay much less when compared with policyholders that have many claims.
- Discounts for Cautious Drivers - Drivers without accidents could pay up to 40% less than drivers with accident claims.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage - Not really a discount, but a few companies such as Allstate and State Farm permit an accident before raising your premiums if you have no claims for a certain period of time.
- Multi-line Discount - Companies who offer life insurance give a discount if you purchase auto and life insurance together.
- Homeowners Savings - Being a homeowner can earn you a little savings since home ownership means you have a higher level of financial diligence.
A quick disclaimer, most discount credits are not given to the overall cost of the policy. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. Just because you may think you can get free auto insurance, insurance companies wouldn't stay in business.
A list of companies and their offered discounts include:
- GEICO has discounts for anti-theft, military active duty, good student, multi-policy, and seat belt use.
- Mercury Insurance may have discounts that include location of vehicle, professional/association, multi-car, anti-theft, ease of repair, accident-free, and annual mileage.
- Farmers Insurance includes discounts for early shopping, homeowner, business and professional, mature driver, and good student.
- Auto-Owners Insurance offers discounts for safe driver, good student, group or association, company car, paperless, and student away at school.
- Liberty Mutual may include discounts for new vehicle discount, multi-policy, preferred payment discount, multi-car, and teen driver discount.
- SAFECO has savings for teen safety rewards, anti-lock brakes, homeowner, anti-theft, accident prevention training, and bundle discounts.
- Progressive discounts include homeowner, online signing, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, continuous coverage, and good student.
- USAA offers discounts including family discount, military installation, driver training, loyalty savings, annual mileage, new vehicle, and vehicle storage.
When quoting, ask every prospective company to give you their best rates. Some discounts may not be offered in Columbus. To find companies who offer discounts in Ohio, click here to view.
Are auto insurance agents of importance?
Some people still prefer to sit down with an agent and often times that is recommended Insurance agents can point out coverage gaps and help file insurance claims. One of the great benefits of price shopping on the web is the fact that drivers can get cheap rate quotes and also buy local.
To find an agent, once you fill out this quick form, the quote information is sent to insurance agents in Columbus who will return price quotes to get your business. There is no need to contact any agents since price quotes are sent to your email. If you wish to get a comparison quote from a specific insurance company, you just need to find their quoting web page and complete a quote there.
Finding the right provider should include more criteria than just a low price. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- Has the agent ever had any license suspensions?
- How long has their agency been open in Columbus?
- If your car is totaled, how to they determine the replacement cost?
- Are they paid to recommend certain coverages?
- What is the financial rating for the quoted company?
- Do they write coverage based solely on cost?
- Does the company have a local claim office in Columbus?
- Does their agency support local causes in Columbus?
When finding a good Columbus insurance agent, it helps to know the two different types of agencies and how they can service your needs differently. Agencies in Columbus are classified as either exclusive or independent. Either one can write policy coverage, but it's worth mentioning the difference in the companies they write for since it may influence the kind of agent you use.
These agents can usually just insure with one company such as Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. They usually cannot provide prices from multiple companies so it's a take it or leave it situation. They are highly trained on the products they sell which helps offset the inability to provide other markets.
The following are exclusive agencies in Columbus that can give you comparison quotes.
American Family Insurance - Yelena Uchiteleva Agency LLC
233 S Hamilton Rd - Columbus, OH 43213 - (614) 235-1702 - View Map
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents that choose to be independent can quote rates with many companies and that allows them to write policies amongst many companies and find you cheaper rates. If premiums increase, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you won't have to switch agencies. When searching for an agent, you need to get quotes from several independent agencies so that you can do a thorough price comparison.
Below are independent agents in Columbus who can help you get comparison quotes.
Nationwide Insurance: Robert Darnell Jackson Agency
2690 E Main St - Columbus, OH 43209 - (614) 235-5413 - View Map
Once you have positive responses to your questions and a good coverage price, most likely you have located an auto insurance agent that will adequately provide insurance. Just keep in mind you are able to terminate coverage whenever you wish so never feel that you're stuck with any particular company indefinitely.
A conclusion for your car insurance search
Cheaper car insurance in Columbus is possible on the web and from local insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both in order to have the best chance of saving money. A few companies don't offer online price quotes and these regional insurance providers provide coverage only through local independent agencies.
When searching for cheaper Columbus auto insurance quotes, it's not a good idea to sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There have been many situations where consumers will sacrifice physical damage coverage and discovered at claim time that it was a big error on their part. Your goal should be to buy the best coverage you can find at the best possible price while not skimping on critical coverages.
More information can be found at the links below
- Choosing an Insurance Company (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest Columbus Auto Insurance for State Employees? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Columbus Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers with Bad Credit? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Columbus Auto Insurance Quotes for 17 Year Olds? (FAQ)
- How Much are Columbus Car Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Camry? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for 16 Year Olds in Columbus? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for Ride Shares in Columbus? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for a Mazda CX-7 in Columbus? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Real Estate Agents in Columbus? (FAQ)
- Distracted Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Safety Tips for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)