If saving money is your primary concern, then the best way to find affordable car insurance rates is to do an annual price comparison from insurance carriers who provide car insurance in Columbus. This can be done by following these steps.
- Step 1: Spend some time learning about what coverages are included in your policy and the things you can control to drop your rates. Many rating factors that result in higher rates like speeding tickets, accidents and a less-than-favorable credit rating can be rectified by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes. This article gives additional tips to help find cheaper rates and get additional discounts that may have been overlooked.
- Step 2: Compare prices from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct and exclusive agents can provide rates from one company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agents can provide price quotes for a wide range of insurance providers. Begin your rate comparison
- Step 3: Compare the price quotes to your existing coverage to see if a cheaper rate is available. If you find a lower rate quote and make a switch, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
One key aspect when comparing rates is to make sure you enter the same liability limits and deductibles on every quote request and and to look at every company you can. This provides the most accurate price comparison and maximum price selection.
Unbelievable but true according to a study almost 70% of drivers have purchased from the same company for a minimum of four years, and 38% of drivers have never compared insurance rates at all. Ohio insurance shoppers could save an average of almost $729 each year by just comparing quotes, but they don't want to spend time to find cheap insurance rates.
If you have coverage now or just want to reduce your rates, use these cost-cutting techniques to find the best rates without reducing protection. This article's goal is to help educate you on the most effective ways to compare rates and also save some money in the process Shoppers just have to use the best way to compare different rates from multiple carriers.
Most companies allow you to get prices on their websites. Getting online rates for Oldsmobile Silhouette insurance in Columbus is pretty easy as you simply type in the coverage amounts you desire as detailed in the form. When the form is submitted, the company's rating system requests your credit score and driving record and gives you a price quote based on the data you entered.
Getting online rate quotes for Oldsmobile Silhouette insurance in Columbus helps simplify price comparisons, and it is important to compare as many rates as possible in order to get a lower rate.
In order to find out what other companies charge, compare rates now from the companies shown below. If you currently have coverage, we recommend that you enter the coverage information exactly as shown on your declarations page. Doing this assures you are getting comparison quotes based on identical coverages.
The companies shown below offer comparison quotes in Columbus, OH. If multiple companies are listed, it's a good idea that you get price quotes from several of them to get the best price comparison.
Discount Columbus car insurance quotes
Auto insurance companies do not list every discount available in an easy-to-find place, so the list below contains both the well known in addition to some of the lesser obvious discounts that may be available.
- Paperless Signup - A few larger online companies provide a small discount for completing your application over the internet.
- Anti-lock Brake System - Cars, trucks, and SUVs with ABS and/or traction control prevent accidents and will save you 10% or more on Silhouette insurance in Columbus.
- Employee of Federal Government - Simply working for the federal government could qualify for a slight premium decrease with certain companies.
- Discount for Multiple Policies - If you have multiple policies and insure them both with the same insurance company you may save 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Drivers Ed for Students - Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to enroll in driver's education as it can save substantially.
- Discounts for Good Drivers - Safe drivers could pay up to 40% less compared to accident prone drivers.
- Save over 55 - Older drivers can possibly qualify for a slight reduction on a Columbus car insurance quote.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured - Buying insurance for all your vehicles on a single policy can get a discount for every vehicle.
A quick disclaimer, many deductions do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. So when the math indicates all the discounts add up to a free policy, you aren't that lucky.
A few companies who might offer many of the previously listed discounts may include but are not limited to:
When getting a coverage quote, ask all companies you are considering to give you their best rates. Savings might not be offered in every state.
Three reasons insurance is important
Despite the potentially high cost of Oldsmobile Silhouette insurance, maintaining insurance may be mandatory for several reasons.
- The majority of states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require a specific minimum amount of liability insurance if you don't want to risk a ticket. In Ohio these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Silhouette has a lienholder, most lenders will require you to have physical damage coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank may buy a policy for your Oldsmobile at a significantly higher premium and require you to fork over for it.
- Insurance safeguards not only your Oldsmobile Silhouette but also your financial assets. Insurance will pay for medical bills for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, will also pay for a defense attorney if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance definitely exceed the cost, especially for larger claims. But the average American driver overpays more than $865 each year so it's recommended you shop around each time the policy renews to ensure rates are competitive.
Do I need special coverages?
Always keep in mind that when comparing proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is no "best" method to buy coverage. Everyone's situation is a little different and your car insurance should be unique as well. Here are some questions about coverages that can help discover if your situation might need professional guidance.
- What does roadside assistance cover?
- Will damage be repaired with OEM parts?
- Exactly who is provided coverage by my policy?
- Do I need more liability coverage?
- How much will a speeding ticket raise my rates?
- Who is covered when they drive my Oldsmobile Silhouette?
- Is my custom stereo system covered?
- Should I rate my Oldsmobile Silhouette as pleasure use or commute?
If you don't know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area. It's fast, doesn't cost anything and can provide invaluable advice.
Local neighborhood agents and auto insurance
Some people still like to sit down with an agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Most agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and will help you if you have claims. One of the best bonuses of comparing auto insurance online is you may find lower prices and still have an agent to talk to.
Upon completion of this form (opens in new window), your information is submitted to local insurance agents in Columbus that can provide free Columbus car insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. There is no need to do any legwork since price quotes are sent to the email address you provide. If you want to get a price quote for a specific company, just search and find their rate quote page and fill out their quote form.
Finding a good provider is decision based upon more than just the quoted price. Some important questions to ask are:
- How many companies do they write for?
- Do they have designations such as AIC, CPCU, or CIC?
- What company holds the largest book of business for them?
- What is their Better Business Bureau rating?
- Is the agency covered by Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Do they get paid more for recommending certain coverages?
When searching for a reliable insurance agency, it's helpful to know the types of insurance agents and how they work. Agents in Columbus can be categorized as either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive). Either one can write policy coverage, but it's important to know the difference in the companies they write for because it can factor into the selection process.
These type of agents can usually just insure with one company and some examples include State Farm, AAA, Farmers Insurance or Allstate. Exclusive agents are unable to shop your coverage around so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. These agents are trained well on the products they sell and that can be a competitive advantage. Many people choose to use a exclusive agent mostly because of the prominence of the brand and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
Shown below are Columbus exclusive insurance agents that are able to give rate quotes.
- American Family Insurance - Patricia Dews
114 Norton Rd - Columbus, OH 43228 - (614) 878-9720 - View Map
- Jack Gilkerson - State Farm Insurance Agent
4232 E Main St - Whitehall, OH 43213 - (614) 237-4256 - View Map
- Wendy Sams - State Farm Insurance Agent
9039 Antares Ave, Ste D-1A - Columbus, OH 43240 - (614) 985-6123 - View Map
Independent Auto Insurance Agents
These agents can sell policies from many different companies and that is an advantage because they can write policies through many different auto insurance companies and get you the best rates possible. If you are not satisfied with one company, the business is moved internally and you won't have to switch agencies.
If you need cheaper auto insurance rates, you should always get rate quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to maximize your price options. Most can insure with mutual insurance companies which may have better rates.
The following is a short list of independent agents in Columbus that can give you rate quotes.
- Nationwide Insurance: Robert L Smith
4942 Reed Rd - Columbus, OH 43220 - (614) 451-2232 - View Map
- Central Ohio Insurance Services, Inc
1205 Hill Rd N - Pickerington, OH 43147 - (614) 861-3100 - View Map
- Pfeifer-Ornstein Insurance Agency
3291 E Main St - Columbus, OH 43213 - (614) 235-7050 - View Map
Specifics of your insurance policy
Understanding the coverages of a insurance policy aids in choosing the right coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. The terms used in a policy can be difficult to understand and reading a policy is terribly boring. Listed below are typical coverage types found on most insurance policies.
Uninsured and underinsured coverage - This coverage provides protection when other motorists do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered claims include injuries to you and your family as well as your vehicle's damage.
Since many Ohio drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (which is 25/50/25), it doesn't take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. So UM/UIM coverage should not be overlooked.
Coverage for medical payments - Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage kick in for bills for things like ambulance fees, pain medications, surgery, nursing services and X-ray expenses. The coverages can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance program or if you lack health insurance entirely. They cover both the driver and occupants in addition to if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP coverage is not available in all states but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Comprehensive coverages - Comprehensive insurance coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first have to pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things such as hitting a bird, damage from getting keyed, a broken windshield and theft. The maximum amount you'll receive from a claim is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle's value is low it's probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Collision coverage - Collision coverage covers damage to your Silhouette resulting from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You have to pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision coverage protects against claims such as crashing into a ditch, damaging your car on a curb and colliding with a tree. This coverage can be expensive, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from vehicles that are 8 years or older. Drivers also have the option to raise the deductible on your Silhouette to bring the cost down.
Liability insurance - Liability insurance will cover damage that occurs to other people or property in an accident. This coverage protects you from claims by other people, and does not provide coverage for your injuries or vehicle damage.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have values of 25/50/25 which means $25,000 bodily injury coverage, $50,000 for the entire accident, and a total limit of $25,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability coverage protects against things like emergency aid, medical services, repair bills for other people's vehicles, attorney fees and loss of income. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is up to you, but it's cheap coverage so purchase as large an amount as possible. Ohio requires drivers to carry at least 25/50/25 but you should consider buying more coverage.
The next chart demonstrates why buying minimum limits may not be adequate.