Nobody fancies paying their premiums for auto insurance, especially when the prices are way too high.
Unbelievable but true, 70% of consumers have purchased from the same company for at least four years, and about 40% of consumers have never compared quotes from other companies. Many consumers in the United States could save about $859 a year just by getting comparison quotes, but they feel it's too difficult to compare rates online.
Many insurance companies vie to insure your vehicles, so it's not easy to compare every provider to find the best rates possible on auto insurance.
If you currently have a car insurance policy, you will most likely be able to get lower rates using these methods. Buying the cheapest insurance in Columbus is actually quite easy if you know where to start. Nevertheless, Ohio drivers must learn how insurance companies determine what you pay and use it to find better rates.
The quickest way to compare car insurance rates is to realize most of the larger companies will pay a fee to give you rate quotes. All consumers are required to do is give them rating details like coverage limits, if you have an active license, an estimate of your credit level, and any included safety features. Your rating data is submitted instantly to many of the top insurers and they return quotes very quickly.
To compare multiple company rates now, click here and find out if you can get cheaper insurance in Columbus.
The providers in the list below can provide quotes in Ohio. If more than one company is shown, we recommend you get rate quotes from several of them in order to find the lowest rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Crew Cab 2WD||$616||$308||$51|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab Sport 2WD||$626||$313||$52|
|Ford Escape XLT 2WD||$456||$228||$38|
|Ford F-150 XLT Super Cab 4WD||$522||$261||$44|
|Ford Focus S 4-Dr Sedan||$528||$264||$44|
|Honda Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$456||$228||$38|
|Honda CR-V EX 2WD||$456||$228||$38|
|Honda Civic SI 4-Dr Sedan||$594||$297||$50|
|Hyundai Elantra GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$566||$283||$47|
|Hyundai Sonata GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$576||$288||$48|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 2WD||$578||$289||$48|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 4-Dr Sedan||$578||$289||$48|
|Toyota Camry Hybrid||$616||$308||$51|
|Toyota Corolla XLE||$566||$283||$47|
|Volkswagen Jetta SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$578||$289||$48|
|Get Rate Quotes for Your Vehicle Go|
Data based on married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Ohio minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, homeowner, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, and claim-free. Information does not factor in Columbus location which can decrease or increase coverage prices considerably.
Three reasons to not skimp on auto insurance
Despite the high cost of buying insurance in Columbus, insuring your vehicle serves an important purpose.
- Almost all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means the state requires a minimum amount of liability insurance if you want to drive legally. In Ohio these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your vehicle, it's guaranteed your bank will make it a condition of the loan that you have insurance to guarantee loan repayment. If the policy lapses, the bank may buy a policy for your vehicle at a much higher premium rate and force you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance protects both your assets and your vehicle. Insurance will also pay for hospital and medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance will also pay to defend you if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, your auto insurance policy will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance greatly outweigh the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. According to a 2015 survey, the average American driver overpays as much as $750 every year so it's recommended you shop around at every renewal to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Affordable rates on auto insurance with these discounts
Auto insurance companies do not list all possible discounts very clearly, so the following is a list of both the well known as well as the least known auto insurance savings. If you don't get every credit available, you are throwing money away.
- Club Memberships - Affiliation with qualifying employment or professional organizations may earn a discount when getting a Columbus car insurance quote.
- Discounts for Government Workers - Active or former government employment could qualify for a slight premium decrease with some auto insurance companies.
- Distant College Student Discount - Kids who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Columbus and do not have access to a covered vehicle could qualify for this discount.
- More Vehicles More Savings - Buying coverage for several vehicles with one company qualifies for this discount.
- Data Collection Discounts - Insureds that choose to allow driving data submission to spy on driving manner remotely such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate's Drivewise system could possibly reduce rates as long as they are good drivers.
- Anti-lock Brakes - Cars with ABS braking systems or traction control have fewer accidents and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Payment Method - If you pay your bill all at once rather than paying monthly you can avoid the installment charge.
- Life Insurance - Companies who offer life insurance give a discount if you purchase auto and life insurance together.
As is typical with insurance, most credits do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. Just because it seems like you could get a free auto insurance policy, auto insurance companies aren't that generous.
A partial list of companies that may include these money-saving discounts include:
When getting a coverage quote, ask every company how many discounts you can get. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not apply in your state.
Compare prices but still have a local neighborhood Columbus car insurance agent
Some people still prefer to talk to an insurance agent and that is OK! A nice benefit of comparing rates online is you may find lower rates and still choose a local agent.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), your information is submitted to insurance agents in Columbus who will give you quotes to get your business. It makes it easy because there is no need to drive around since price quotes are sent to the email address you provide. You'll get the best rates AND an agent nearby. If for some reason you want to get a comparison quote for a specific company, don't hesitate to navigate to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Finding the right company should include more criteria than just the price. You should also get answers to these questions.
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
- Are they able to provide referrals?
- Does the agent help file claims?
- Has the agent ever had any license suspensions?
- Does the agency have a current Errors and Omissions policy?
- Is assistance available after office hours?
You may need specialized auto insurance coverage
When buying insurance from an agent or online for your personal vehicles, there isn't really a perfect coverage plan. Every insured's situation is different.
These are some specific questions might point out whether you might need an agent's assistance.
- When should I not file a claim?
- Why is insurance for a teen driver so high in Columbus?
- Will my rates increase for filing one claim?
- How can I get the company to pay a claim?
- Is my camper covered for physical damage?
- How long can I keep a teen driver on my policy?
- What is motorclub and do I need it?
- Which companies will insure me after a DUI?
- Am I covered while delivering pizza?
If you don't know the answers to these questions but one or more may apply to you, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form.
Quote. Compare. Save.
Insureds change insurance companies for a variety of reasons including denial of a claim, policy non-renewal, delays in responding to claim requests or an unsatisfactory settlement offer. It doesn't matter what your reason, switching auto insurance companies can be less work than you think.
In this article, we presented many tips how you can get a better price on auto insurance in Columbus. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even be surprised to find that the best price on auto insurance is with a lesser-known regional company.
Affordable auto insurance in Columbus is possible both online in addition to local insurance agencies, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best selection. A few companies may not provide the ability to get quotes online and these small insurance companies work with independent insurance agents.
How to buy cheaper car insurance in Columbus
If saving money is your primary concern, then the best way to get more affordable car insurance rates in Columbus is to regularly compare quotes from providers that insure vehicles in Ohio.
- Spend some time learning about how insurance works and the factors you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many things that increase rates such as multiple speeding tickets and poor credit history can be eliminated by paying attention to minor details.
- Compare price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can give quotes from one company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agencies can provide price quotes for many different companies. Compare rates now
- Compare the new rate quotes to the premium of your current policy and determine if there is any savings. If you find a better price and switch companies, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Notify your agent or company to cancel your current coverage. Submit a down payment and signed policy application for the new coverage. As soon as coverage is bound, store the certificate verifying coverage in a readily accessible location in your vehicle.
One thing to remember is to try to compare the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on each quote and and to analyze as many car insurance companies as possible. This enables an accurate price comparison and the best price selection.
- Should I Buy a New or Used Car? (Allstate)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for Drivers Over Age 50 in Columbus? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for a Learners Permit in Columbus? (FAQ)
- Child Safety Seats (Insurance Information Institute)
- Rental Reimbursement Coverage (Allstate)
- Eight Auto Insurance Myths (Insurance Information Institute)